What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actual ! A bee space is a bee space !
some people say a top bee space avoids crushing bees when replacing boxes !
replacing a top bee space box with bees hanging off the bottom of the frames requires care as a lot of bees require time to disperse to avoid being squashed .
crown boards need to be flush to avoid creating a double bee space .
you pays your money and you takes your pick 😎
It’s a subjective thing. I like top space so for me there is an advantage

you generally only make the cost of the materials back and can't charge much for the labour. Depending on your market about all you can do is pitch the candles as a quality / premium product, A quicker way to make sale candles is to roll them from sheets.

Bought 10 sheets of 9 colours from KBS & Thorne, which worked out at £2.07 for a full sheet candle or £1.03 a half sheet, inc. wick, VAT & delivery. KBS sheets were National, Thorne Lang, so I trimmed the Langs and priced the 20 pencil candles at £1 each.

Took two minutes to roll: cut the wick, blow the heat gun over the wax, eat cake, roll candle, seal the roll with gun, get the roll of wick back from keen kitten, trim wick, drink tea.

Took them to two markets: full sheets @ £5.50 and halves @ £3.50; candle customers were given a strong paper bag (20p) and 12.5% goes to the market. A few were sold for cash which I didn't record, about five came home and one was broken, but by card I took £410 against an outlay of £190. Probably a fiver on bags max, less market money of £51 leaves me at least £164 ahead.

If a 30/30/30 split applied (materials/production/profit) then the large were under-priced and the small over-priced. Main thing is that a row of twenty multi-coloured candles on the front of a stall can be seen forty feet away, and once the customer is there and the card is out, well, I'll have a Frankincense soap, and two large Dagenham jars, please, and I'll try a propolis for Mary, she's always talking about it.

May have lost a few numbers in those calculations, and my efficient beekeeper sidekick did one market (another 10%, but she barters bees for hours) so I stood for only one of the 4.5-hour events and spent a few hours making and packing candles - unboxing, setting up, clearing up, cutting, chasing kittens, making tea - but still, not a bad return.

Last edited:
Took them to two markets: full sheets @ £5.50 and halves @ £3.50; candle customers were given a strong paper bag (20p) and 12.5% goes to the market. A few were sold for cash which I didn't record, about five came home and one was broken, but by card I took £410 against an outlay of £190. Probably a fiver on bags max, less market money of £51 leaves me at least £164 ahead.
..... but still, not a bad return.
Wow ... I'll have to put my prices for rolled candles up ... that's a very good price ... I sell mine in nice cellophane pouches tied with a bit of gift ribbon and I include a hand turned hardwood base (not elaborate - 3 minutes on the lathe using free branch wood) in the deal and I sell a pack of two half sheet candles for a fiver ! I'm under pricing ...

Wow ... I'll have to put my prices for rolled candles up ... that's a very good price ... I sell mine in nice cellophane pouches tied with a bit of gift ribbon and I include a hand turned hardwood base (not elaborate - 3 minutes on the lathe using free branch wood) in the deal and I sell a pack of two half sheet candles for a fiver ! I'm under pricing ...

Ah, but it's the backend follow up sale of the replacement candles that fit the holders once the first ones have burnt down that makes your money. Just put a card with direct contact details in each pack.

Ah, but it's the backend follow up sale of the replacement candles that fit the holders once the first ones have burnt down that makes your money. Just put a card with direct contact details in each pack.
Never had the urge to push a candle up my back end :oops:

Had a complete disaster today. Decided to treat the outside of the UFE’s that I made a while back. Husband found some stuff. I failed to check it was suitable, had assumed he had done that. Painted the wood then checked, not suitable for bee equipment.
Is there any way I can resurrect the mess I’ve made, or is it a case of start again? I’ve scrubbed the wood. I could plane or sand it, but will the residue still cause problems?
Thanks, Emily

Had a complete disaster today. Decided to treat the outside of the UFE’s that I made a while back. Husband found some stuff. I failed to check it was suitable, had assumed he had done that. Painted the wood then checked, not suitable for bee equipment.
Is there any way I can resurrect the mess I’ve made, or is it a case of start again? I’ve scrubbed the wood. I could plane or sand it, but will the residue still cause problems?
Thanks, Emily
How is it not suitable?

I would not worry. Unless you treated the INSIDE of your hives.

In the past people have used hives treated with creosote inside and out - and the bees survived, (The hives did as well).

Edit: I use any paint that is suitable on hive stands. My bees are still alive and doing well.. (well the colonies are: the bees at the time of treatment are of course long since dead).

Like others have said. outside of the hive I wouldn't worry. I've never seen a warning that specific, which makes me wonder if it's the bees or honey?
Either way, it's a worry you can do without. If it were me, I'd attempt to replace any parts due to remain inside the hive.

Like others have said. outside of the hive I wouldn't worry. I've never seen a warning that specific, which makes me wonder if it's the bees or honey?
Either way, it's a worry you can do without. If it were me, I'd attempt to replace any parts due to remain inside the hive.
Thanks Steve.

I'd use the floors, just paint them with something else on top - cuprinol shades maybe
Agree ... overpaint it with another paint .. I don't think Shades will do it - the Holly Green states it is impregnated with wax which will have left a residue even after scrubbing it - a water based paint is unlikely to take to a surface contiminated with any wax, You may need to overcoat it with an oil/spirit based paint not Shades which is water based. There are still plenty of paints available that are oil based - Just look on the tin, you need one that you need white spirit not water to clean your brushes.

Latest posts

Back