What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What an idiot!!!! Decided to add a brood box underneath the hive.Just finished work so put the bee suit on but thought I'd leave my work shoes on which expose the top of my foot, took a sting and the reaction was like nothing I've experienced before. Within minutes started to have extreme itching on my hands, the back of my head, gradually moving to the rest of my body. My head was beating and my eyes were bloodshot!!!!!I rushed in took an antihistamine and run a cold bath. I had loads of red blotches and felt sicky. Breathing ok though and didn't feel faint. Stupid, got complacent. But a warning I won't ignore. I've been saying the one hive is a bit feisty, a queen from a swarm last year, but we were messing with the hive so at the moment I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
I wouldn't take any chances next time you look in any of the colonies. Take antihistamine before you go to the bees and take somebody with you who knows your What Three Words .....just in case

What an idiot!!!! Decided to add a brood box underneath the hive.Just finished work so put the bee suit on but thought I'd leave my work shoes on which expose the top of my foot, took a sting and the reaction was like nothing I've experienced before. Within minutes started to have extreme itching on my hands, the back of my head, gradually moving to the rest of my body. My head was beating and my eyes were bloodshot!!!!!I rushed in took an antihistamine and run a cold bath. I had loads of red blotches and felt sicky. Breathing ok though and didn't feel faint. Stupid, got complacent. But a warning I won't ignore. I've been saying the one hive is a bit feisty, a queen from a swarm last year, but we were messing with the hive so at the moment I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
I had a similar reaction a couple of years ago and thought my time with the bees might be over, but I have not suffered anything like it since. So, I hope it works out similarly for you. It’s frightening when the blotches (hives) erupt over the body.

Topped up the fondant on 5 colonies today.
That means each hive has taken 1 kilo in just 7 days
I checked mine today and all five had consumed every bit of fondant - two had the tubs replenished five days ago! The colonies appear to be the biggest I’ve had for this time of year and I’m not looking forward to swarm time!

Some of the colonies at one apiary are not building up as I'd have hoped judging by lack of stores consumption and lack of debris on the boards. I fear that two may not make it. This site is high and exposed - but that's no excuse because other colonies are doing fine.

This corpse was the first thing I saw above the clear crown board at the first hive. I thought she looked long and queen like! Surely not!

View attachment 39201
Looks like quite a few young varroa mites on her 🤦‍♀️

Last edited:
I had a similar reaction a couple of years ago and thought my time with the bees might be over, but I have not suffered anything like it since. So, I hope it works out similarly for you. It’s frightening when the blotches (hives) erupt over the body.
Frightened the life out of me to be honest

I wouldn't take any chances next time you look in any of the colonies. Take antihistamine before you go to the bees and take somebody with you who knows your What Three Words .....just in case
Sorry what are" what three words"?

Sorry what are" what three words"?
What three words is an app that divides the whole world into small squares which are uniquely identified by three words like "yellow.cycle.bank", let's people identify your location. (Don't know if that one exists!)

What three words is an app that divides the whole world into small squares which are uniquely identified by three words like "yellow.cycle.bank", let's people identify your location. (Don't know if that one exists!)
Gosh never heard of it

It doesn’t.

The 3 words seems to be established now but I never had a problem with OS grid references. I recall once attending a gaited horse riding clinic at an establishment near Worcester with Ausa my Icelandic mare. Prominently displayed on the admin building was a notice giving instructions how to call for help with 999, the number of the local veterinary establishment, the name of the riding establishment and the road name out front, together with the OS grid reference. I presumed the grid reference was for helicopter access if necessary. Fortunately none of the attendees or horses required the knowledge that weekend. 🐎

Frightened the life out of me to be honest
Out of interest, was the sting site on a small vein? I recently read a report detailing the different reaction to the venom if injected into flesh or muscle, or a vein. The immune system goes into warp speed if the venom is injected into the blood stream.
Does that make sense to the medics on here?

I have a vein running across one of the bones in my foot and I'm convinced it went into that. Had stings before, hand etc small reaction but nothing like this

I have a vein running across one of the bones in my foot and I'm convinced it went into that. Had stings before, hand etc small reaction but nothing like this
I used to get terrible swelling. 50+ stings later and I don't get a reaction. I got a sting to the face because I pulled my hood down and didn't realise there was a grumpy bee crawling on me still. Aside from the initial pain, there was no reaction. It might be something that will go away after a few more stings. Better safe than sorry though. It is better to take antihistamines before a sting than after the event.

I used to get terrible swelling. 50+ stings later and I don't get a reaction. I got a sting to the face because I pulled my hood down and didn't realise there was a grumpy bee crawling on me still. Aside from the initial pain, there was no reaction. It might be something that will go away after a few more stings. Better safe than sorry though. It is better to take antihistamines before a sting than after the event.
That's a good suggestion taking a tablet before rather than after the event. Waiting on a call from the doctor as my foot is up like a balloon, may need a stronger antihistamine. Thank you

The 3 words seems to be established now but I never had a problem with OS grid references. I recall once attending a gaited horse riding clinic at an establishment near Worcester with Ausa my Icelandic mare. Prominently displayed on the admin building was a notice giving instructions how to call for help with 999, the number of the local veterinary establishment, the name of the riding establishment and the road name out front, together with the OS grid reference. I presumed the grid reference was for helicopter access if necessary. Fortunately none of the attendees or horses required the knowledge that weekend. 🐎
I suggested it because that is what the emergency services use

Back