What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inspected all. They are behaving. Taken 4 heavy capped supers off the hives to extract tonight and return and then I have another to deal with tomorrow or Saturday. Clearer board on that one too now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

70lbs of honey in tubs. Supers back on the hives and another super to remove tomorrow or Saturday. Just hoping we don’t get a June gap. Could be a great year.

Going fishing to relax tomorrow.

Discovered I have chalk brood in the calmest most docile of colonies. Damn it.

And weakest?
Kill the Queen, make brood break. Lot later mated Queen in a Cage.
I also clean bboard. Spray All with Genox. That also make them to groom.

Queen rearing update: Nicot
First try early May a total wipeout - Cold weather.
Second try - Nicot and using QR super to rear queens after QC started - 8 QCs (out of 15.). A bit better..

Always the same with me: first try a disaster for whatever reason..

Not today in the Apiary but the past few days in the Apiary..
It has been eventful to say the least but good and more learning curves for the better.
I will not go into too much detail as i will be typing all night but i went into winter with seven and come out of winter with five..i now have eight five of which have Queen cells and Virgins sprinting about (good mating weather for now) .
My gentle F3 colony tried to swarm and they did into a hedge 20 yards away from the hive..they then flew back to where they came from..(clipped Queen) ..
Luckily i was there and i found the Queen on the ground running around..i picked her up and stuck her in a Nuc and took a frame of brood and bees from the hive and put that in the Nuc..two minutes later she was outside again on the ground..i picked her up again and put her back in the nuc..i then added two frames of stores and shook a load of bees in there..this was two days ago and she has stayed PUT..

OSR + other forage still flowering and running out of supers(two left)..extracted 108lb and supers straight back on the same day with double left on there..i think i need more buckets and less bees and less grey hair..:spy:

Queen rearing update: Nicot
First try early May a total wipeout - Cold weather.
Second try - Nicot and using QR super to rear queens after QC started - 8 QCs (out of 15.). A bit better..

Always the same with me: first try a disaster for whatever reason..

I never have time in this period.. The fury of crucial hazel work, also main extraction, colony management.. and at the end limited by the pay job. I usually manage to find time late June up to mid August. I use jenter and cloake board and always have more qcells to distribute than needed.. But again in that time usually temps are near or over 40C and is annoying to having sweat going into your eyes and can't stop operations needed to be done..
Today i had "training" on our hill around hazels, up and down the hill countless times with bees buzzing in background.. And someone says how to get down with weight... What weight?

I took these .
There having a super tomorrow.
80c1bd2fb92e1ba61dcf9fb024728e8b.jpg
IMG_20190524_180234.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 1 using Tapatalk

200g of fondant almost finished and a syrup feeder added yesterday . I jar finished .
This is or was a 6 frame nuc .
Transferred to a brood box on the 12th .
Now has expanded to 9/10 frames of brood after drawing 5 frames out.

Time for a super.

Sent from my Nokia 1 using Tapatalk

Extracted super - prob another 14-15lbs of honey to jar up in a day or two.

Found first 2019 laying queen . Got stung on the arm . They seem to hate the elastic on the wrist . Put clearers on . 12 supers to come off .

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I never have time in this period.. The fury of crucial hazel work, also main extraction, colony management.. and at the end limited by the pay job. I usually manage to find time late June up to mid August. I use jenter and cloake board and always have more qcells to distribute than needed.. But again in that time usually temps are near or over 40C and is annoying to having sweat going into your eyes and can't stop operations needed to be done..
Today i had "training" on our hill around hazels, up and down the hill countless times with bees buzzing in background.. And someone says how to get down with weight... What weight?

Our weather is so variable. Many times June/July is wet so no nectar flow and queen rearing is difficult .(this is localised only not all UK)..
SO Queen rearing when I can.. yes it's a lot of work..

Found first 2019 laying queen . Got stung on the arm . They seem to hate the elastic on the wrist . Put clearers on . 12 supers to come off .

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I got stung the other day putting clearers on a queenless colony on the inside of the wrist just above the nitriles I use. It’s a sensitive spot isn’t it?

Back