What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked on three hives and all three queens finally started to lay one with sealed brood so just a few more days on the others to check worker or drone as its been that long.

All in all a good result and makes up for the disappointment of the failed virgin last week.

After sitting on my hands waiting since June 6th (when had sealed QC's in both colonies after a compromised AS procedure) I had a good look inside both hives....

Unfortunately it looks like both are Q- :( My timeline for the queens made me think that they should have been mated and laying around 22 June. One hive has bees over about 5 frames, nectar and pollen going in, but no sign of any eggs. Although I'm very inexperienced it did look to me like there were what I understand are 'polished' cells, but I've never had them pointed out before so I may be mistaken. Does this mean that there may be a newly mated queen and she just hasn't got going? The bees themselves were quite happy and didn't seem bothered about me poking around.

The other hive only has bees over maybe 3 frames (this was the original AS and I obviously missed a QC so queenie buggered off with her entourage) - the open empty QC is still on the frame, and the bees are bringing in nectar and pollen, but again I couldn't see any eggs at all :( These bees were much more 'pingey' than the other hive, and not as impressed with my ministrations.

These are my only hives so can't put in any test frames, should I wait a bit longer before trying to get a mated queen to see if the queen/s are there and just haven't got into gear? My original thoughts were that I was going to unite the hives to get one stronger one. If I have to get a new queen can I still unite the colonies at the same time as introducing a new queen or is that just too much of a change?

I'm going to have a chat with my mentor later today in any event bit other input would be gratefully received.

After sitting on my hands waiting since June 6th (when had sealed QC's in both colonies after a compromised AS procedure) I had a good look inside both hives....

Unfortunately it looks like both are Q- :( My timeline for the queens made me think that they should have been mated and laying around 22 June.

Hmmm - bees don't always have the same calendars as us! they are only a 'week late', so they may still be viable but just not quite laying yet, take a deep breath and wait a while again :D

went up the garden earlier and yet another large swarm (not one of mine) had to put them in a nuc box a bit crowded but not much choice i will see how they go but will have to give some thought to a unite just to free up some equipment

Inspected. 2 hives fine, but new swarm trying to supercede I think so left an almost sealed cell - and will check in a few weeks time...and I have given up trying to work out hive #2!! I have started another thread about this one but here you go:

OK - Hive #2 'Emma' (I know - sad)

Swarm from Last September, was a prolific starter to the year, National BB, brood on all frames (inc. ends) and had at one point in June 3 supers.

16-5 - All fine

22-5 - No Q seen, no eggs or young larvae, plenty of sealed brood. 1 good QC (just unsealed) so left.

18-6 Opened up hive and saw sealed brood & larvae in SUPER - despite QE. No real explanation and QNS...but as long as HM laying I was happy! Removed QE on the grounds that she could move down to laying space in BB

26-6 No Q seen, no eggs, larvae or sealed brood anywhere...and bees in an absolute grotty mood - so suspect Q- and added test frame...

So, apart from cracking up any suggestions as to what is going on?

The bees have been busy in the last two weeks, and I have just about kept up with them I think.

Hmbees.b l o g s p o t.co.uk

M

Unfortunately it looks like both are Q- :( My timeline for the queens made me think that they should have been mated and laying around 22 June. One hive has bees over about 5 frames, nectar and pollen going in, but no sign of any eggs. Although I'm very inexperienced it did look to me like there were what I understand are 'polished' cells, but I've never had them pointed out before so I may be mistaken. Does this mean that there may be a newly mated queen and she just hasn't got going? The bees themselves were quite happy and didn't seem bothered about me poking around.

The other hive only has bees over maybe 3 frames (this was the original AS and I obviously missed a QC so queenie buggered off with her entourage) - the open empty QC is still on the frame, and the bees are bringing in nectar and pollen, but again I couldn't see any eggs at all :( These bees were much more 'pingey' than the other hive, and not as impressed with my ministrations.

These are my only hives so can't put in any test frames, should I wait a bit longer before trying to get a mated queen to see if the queen/s are there and just haven't got into gear? My original thoughts were that I was going to unite the hives to get one stronger one. If I have to get a new queen can I still unite the colonies at the same time as introducing a new queen or is that just too much of a change?

I'm going to have a chat with my mentor later today in any event bit other input would be gratefully received.

Can you not beg a frame of eggs/young larvae from your mentor or another beekeeper? I had the same thing, two halves of an AS, the old queen gone, waiting for the virgins to mate and lay. After putting in a test frame all was clear! I think it kick started the new queen or induced her to start laying, and another bonus, she will either be on the test frame or the ones next to it. IMO:)

My timeline for the queens made me think that they should have been mated and laying around 22 June.

Talking about slow queen mating/laying earlier today, it's taking about 5 weeks in some cases. I've got four that should be laying by now, but aren't. I think it's just a case of being patient.

went up the garden earlier and yet another large swarm (not one of mine) had to put them in a nuc box a bit crowded but not much choice i will see how they go but will have to give some thought to a unite just to free up some equipment

Why don't you give them away, apparently people are paying £160 over there for bees, seems a waste of a good swarm that isn't one of yours?

Chris

OK it was yesterday, but I managed a full inspection of all my hives without a sneeze, which for fellow hay-fever sufferers will attest can only be seen as a bonus. I can assure you it is not easy to wipe your runny nose in a beesuit and the effects of sneezing can be rather distasteful. How did I manage this feat I bought a box of 50 "comfort masks" from Screwfix for a fiver and have taken to wearing one while working outside, mowing the lawn etc.

The only downside for beekeeping is that you can't blow on the bees and sometimes it makes your glasses steam up a little.

Last edited:
Laugh? A lovely swarm from one of my hives went way up in a tree yesterday afternoon....

It's just occupied a previously used three tier empty Warré.

Cor blimey, beginners luck eh? Fourth one this year to house themselves.

Chris

Why don't you give them away, apparently people are paying £160 over there for bees, seems a waste of a good swarm that isn't one of yours?

Chris

Hi chris they swarmed again this morning so i put them straight into a national brood box just had a look and they have gone again all over one of my fence panels despite giving them some drawn out frames and a feed of sugar syrup so now s decision try again or just let them go :calmdown::calmdown::hairpull::hairpull::calmdown::calmdown:

Went and checked a friends hives after looking at my bees and spotted the most wonderful sight two queens on the same frame.

Cut out another colony from between shutters and windows in a house that had been empty, lot's of brood and honey so a bit messy.

That's number 6 this year so far.

Chris

I'm after some advice, went out to the hive this morning, all of a sudden I heard a roar and it looked like the hive had emptied, flew as a cloud around for a few min then disappeared into the hive, would this be a mating flight? The amount of bees have stayed constant over the last few weeks, so I don't think I've lost a swarm so could this have been a mating flight following supercedure?

Latest posts

Back