What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought a cheap plastic pond of Fleabay, dug hole and put in for bees to drink from next spring. Bees were so busy working ivy they didnt seem to bother I was digging away near them.
S

Cleaned 3 queen excluders - all ready for spring now.

After checking too see if they had started taking down there winter feed or not ( not being the case:hairpull:). I stood there contemplating maybe moving them into the new poly hives ive bought while the weather is still reasonable

After a few days away, I fed both my home hive and the one on the Cathedral roof. Both had taken 4 pints of 2:1 in the week.

The cathedral bees, bless them, were still bringing in quite a lot of pollen this lunchtime.

Pretty much resigned to leaving them alone now.

What a rich experience this first season has been!

Dusty

- they were too busy going mad for pollen. Bright yellow stuff - not sure what type.
Hi did you find out what the yellow pollen was off mine are bringing it in as well

Almost certainly Ivy at this time of year. Michaelmas daisy is flowering here but that's a light beige colour.

Chris

Tucked up the girls for winter as returning to the UK . Put a slab of fondant in and swatted another Asian Hornet . Hope to see the girls next spring .

Moved 2 hives to another apiary as part of the plan, only to have the same type of hives on each site and to have none of my hives at my apiary we have been using to hive the association swarms. We got 2 stings each.

Tidying things up for winter and doing my last inspection for awhile. Finally saw my queen that I have not seen for nearly 8 weeks and was pleased to see that she had begun laying again after 4 weeks off-lay. I did not treat her hive for mites this season so she went off-lay for some other reason.

Will make the most of the warm spurt later today, plan to put a final block of Fondabee in and drop in Kingspan ahead of the weekend that promises to be freezing. Small swarm from June, going well although numbers have significantly diminished, stores were low but now after 5KG of Fondabee and before that 2:1 feed since June stores are looking ok.

hefted the hives, all nice and heavy! :)

bees busy @ 12.30http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=7475&stc=1&d=1350992700

Took off the last feeder much to the disgust of some very disgruntled bees who weren't keen on being opened up in this weather.

Probably put on the mouse guards next week and then thats that until oxalic time

Tucked up the girls for winter, they were rather annoyed at being disturbed. added 2.5K block of fondant as I am slightly concerned that the box is not completely full of stores, they only took one gallon of thymolated syrup but have ignored the other gallon despite me leaving it on a few weeks. They are still bringing in the ivy though.

Feed

Added fondant to one hive that has struggled all year to accumulate stores.

Both hives doing really well, bee numbers are up, Queens and BIAS seen. Bees very busy today, in and out of the hive, lots of bright yellow pollen coming in. Fed with 2:1 sugar syrup to boost winter stores. Clear crown board applied with Kingspan insulatation. Mouse guards put on. Depending on the forthcoming weather :nature-smiley-12:this may have been my last inspection of the year.
Have a good winter my lovelies, see you next spring :nature-smiley-011:

Both hives doing really well, bee numbers are up, Queens and BIAS seen. Bees very busy today, in and out of the hive, lots of bright yellow pollen coming in. Fed with 2:1 sugar syrup to boost winter stores. Clear crown board applied with Kingspan insulatation. Mouse guards put on. Depending on the forthcoming weather :nature-smiley-12:this may have been my last inspection of the year.
Have a good winter my lovelies, see you next spring :nature-smiley-011:

All sounds great BUT why would you need to open up at this time of year? It makes no sense to me at all. What is the point?:nono:
Cazza

All sounds great BUT why would you need to open up at this time of year? It makes no sense to me at all. What is the point?:nono:
Cazza

They were both small colonies raised from nucs this year, and I want to ensure that they have enough stores for winter. As it was such a lovely warm sunny day here and the bees were so well behaved I did a quick look through for my own pleasure.

Latest posts

Back