What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just return from my Hols, so did a quick tour of three apiaries before the jet lag set in, Only doing exterior inspections and hefting , so far I have no losses.

However one overwinter nuc was so light i inspected, only about 10lbs of stores,and bees covered 5 out of six 14x12 frames so added fondant and prepared a half super just in case their new apiary is not ready before they expand

The Association apiary appeared to have lost three colonies out of about 20 ( A dartington that succumb in November, a beginers small hive that should have been combined and one that may have gone after oxalic)

Another hive i was looking after attacked by Mr Woody while i was away but survived

lots of Pollen and water going in

How can people tell when water is being brought into the hive?

The bees crawling all over the damp surfaces of their water source, supplied within the apiary hopefully, is often a good clue.

The bees crawling all over the damp surfaces of their water source, supplied within the apiary hopefully, is often a good clue.

:iagree:

A water source really comes in handy for the bees. I just use an old black builders bucket with a suitable large stone or breeze block in it to hold in down and give the bees somewhere to land. Fill with water and leave close to out apiary. Simple.

well i always assume those hitting the landing board with a thump are carrying nectar and those that touch down lighter carry water ( assuming both have their rear legs trailing back in the loaded position rather than pushed forward meaning empty /toilet flight/robbing)

Last edited:
Inspection this afternoon whilst it's warm.

1st hive: Bees covering all 11 frames of a national. Going to have to watch them for space.

2nd hive: This is the one with no queen and DLW. Had moved the hive next to hive 1 to shake bees in front of the hive but chickened out. They seemed very unhappy which isn't a problem for me but could very well be a problem for my neighbour as they are situated on his boundary. Either I'm going to have to leave them to die or move them both out to the OSR site and shake hive 2 in front of 1 - less people to worry about plus they won't be flying back to their old site.

If you have a DLW, why would you shake them out in front of a good active hive with a good queen laying?

Weighed the two 14x12s
The cedar one of local bees is only a pound lighter than a week ago and is still pretty heavy.
The Buckfasts in a poly hive have chomped through 6lb. I can still see stores through the crownboard and I reckon they have about 10 - 15lb left.
I'm so tempted to put on some fondant as we are in for a week long cold snap. It's a balancing act and don't want to cut it too fine.
Anyway, spring is round the corner..the curlews are back and it will be swallows next :)

Just made up my first ever batch of beeswax lip balm which was remarkably easy and looks and works very well. I am now looking into the regulations of being a cosmetics producer. Anyone else done this as it all looks a bit complicated?

Just made up my first ever batch of beeswax lip balm which was remarkably easy and looks and works very well. I am now looking into the regulations of being a cosmetics producer. Anyone else done this as it all looks a bit complicated?

I expect it will be very expensive to have each product properly tested if you intend to make a business out of it.

I have absolutely no idea what is going on with the bees at my out-apiary... Have not even been up there since early February... Will probably remain this way until I can find a day to do a proper first inspection, which will be a while yet.

Ben P

Went to a convention and heard Clive de Bruyn and Pam Hunter give excellent talks.

Clive does it all without notes or PowerPoint. A very knowledgeable man.

Last edited:
I recognised you (only one Husky in the room) then got collared by my experienced friend at the end. Will say hello next time.

Better than last year?

I recognised you (only one Husky in the room) then got collared by my experienced friend at the end. Will say hello next time.

Better than last year?
Good speakers , much better venue .
Pity about the hiccup with the audio system for Pams' first lecture.
VM

Checked all colonies and added more fondant to one.

Bees flying well from most fetching pollen. Temp ranged between 13 and 11 degs C.

Checked my hives after the snow finally melted.

lost weakest nuc - wasn't too strong going into winter and reliant on fondant. small starved cluster present with mould on a couple of frames - obviously dead a few weeks.

shame but obviously not up to the job. sister nuc very strong however. just goes to show.

all the rest looking good - at least one frame with brood in each and plenty of bees.

Latest posts

Back