What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
make a 'dummy board' to fill the space?

a piece of 12mm ply or similar the size of a frame - a strip of wood across the top as a top bar - this goes against the rest of the frames - the bees won't bother with the space behind as it's too far from the brood. a bit of harbboard or whatever will do as a temporary fix:)

Checked two hives this evening which are kept at our local brewery! Had to walk past several barrels of beer to get to them.;) both doing well, this year's nucs.

checked 4 hives in the rain ,so took forums advice and took along my camera, wow cant believe the differtent colour pollens coming in , worth doing also you can inspect and look more closely at photos,.. all hives thriving no sign of slowing down yet hoorah :):):)

Sat and watched as they brought in lots of pollen...still very busy and I thin it might be the hymalayn balsam nearby..be nice to get a super filled

Requeened Q- hive.
Bees out in numbers in warm -ish weather (at least 17C )

Added three supers, and found a flow on at 17C.

No sign of HB pollen on the bees which is disappointing as it was conspicuous at this time last year.

Honey amounts have increased this week despite the weather and a reasonably substantial take seems on the cards.

Long may it last....

PH

Checked two hives that look like offering up modest quantities of honey in three or four weeks (weather and everything else permitting!). Found third hive (AS in June) going great guns, and looking nearly ready for a super. Saw eggs and brood in fourth hive, which houses a swarm of two weeks ago.

There are times when this can almost be fun, aren't there? (Oops, should I have said that?)!

Called to a small swarm. Found the queen, picked her up and placed her in the nuc box. Provided a bee suit for the lady who called me. We then watched as they all walked into the box. Another happy customer.

Did a b...... stupid thing this morning and deserved everything I got. Visit from son who wanted to see the bees for the first time. I got two 'observer' smocks the other week for visitors, so gowned him up in one, plus gloves, very carefully, then thought "we're only going to have a quick peek" so put the other smock on myself instead of full beesuit. Sugar water instead of having the smoker lit round the corner, off we went, son with new video camera. We had a happy uneventful peer through the glass quilt, but he couldn't see much to video, so I took it off, plus pretty empty super and QE, thinking I could show him a frame. Well, they were pretty pissy, thundery weather and an inspection only two days ago, and they went for me. Three stings through my tight jeans in seconds and one worming its way up the cuff of my glove. I closed up pretty fast and retired mortified. All my own fault, simply reporting it to remind others that if you get slack the bees will outsmart you. What a muppet! Luckily son not stung, they knew who to go for. And these were my pussycat bees too.
:banghead:

been making 2 bee hives out of 18mm ply 3 more to gobee-smillie

Had a look from outside. Activity from all at 2000, with bees still going out. Must get new supers on two by Saturday morning but too wet, cool and dull this evening.

Saw some bright orange pollen going in. Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back