What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
where are you getting your free pallets, madasafish?

Hello Legs
I used to get mine from a transport company but they stopped that. I got my last six from a new house build 50 metres down the road... carried them all the way up the hill..
If you look round the back of builder's merchants they usuallly have lots of broken pallets...ALl you need is a 1,5 metre wrecking bar and some brute force - and no ignorance...;)

Made PU eckes, entrances for PU kits 2 & 3. two correx cover boards for inspections. Put the Main colony into a M poly brood box, bees surprisingly obliging during this (part of acclimatising to PU for winter) easier than an inspection (was it the cover boards?) . Inspected the PU hive, eggs, sealed brood, mostly worker and a few drone but also a queen cell unsealed occupied, on the same end of the same frame as the previous times despite moving frames around. Dispatched the cell...

Made PU eckes, entrances for PU kits 2 & 3. two correx cover boards for inspections. Put the Main colony into a M poly brood box, bees surprisingly obliging during this (part of acclimatising to PU for winter) easier than an inspection (was it the cover boards?) . Inspected the PU hive, eggs, sealed brood, mostly worker and a few drone but also a queen cell unsealed occupied, on the same end of the same frame as the previous times despite moving frames around. Dispatched the cell... watched the bees on the heather,

Amazed that bees are flying in windy, overcast 13'. Planted new bee friendly plants in our 'nectar bar' for next year. Propped up the wind battered leeks that have gone to seed and are covered in honey bees & bumbles. Prayed for a sunny week.

LOL can`t believe it just got back from taking a swarm.
about a pint and a half in volume 18" from the floor in a small tree like shrub,
you couldn`t have asked for an easier swrm to collect.
better than last one 12 foot up in a hawthorn tree on a bank above electrified fence for horses. got that on but absconded in the morning while i was at work.but good experience all the same.

ZZ :smilielol5:

LOL can`t believe it just got back from taking a swarm.
about a pint and a half in volume 18" from the floor in a small tree like shrub,
you couldn`t have asked for an easier swrm to collect.
better than last one 12 foot up in a hawthorn tree on a bank above electrified fence for horses. got that on but absconded in the morning while i was at work.but good experience all the same.

ZZ :smilielol5:
and we were given a bag full of williams pears!

just counted the varroa weekly drop under treatment

hive 1 30
hive 2 190,
hive 3 70,
hive 4 150 etc etc

hive X OMG...................... 800+

a red mist then descended as i tried to work out why that hive was different.....new italian imported queen onto three frames in May from hive 3 that only dropped 70 on treatment

think i might requeen again next year with a local queen as perhaps they a unhygienic bees, or was it just a large brood cycle,

Extracted my second super and about half full, bringing me about 12 or 13 pounds with another pound in the cappings.

Quite think all this stuff and I couldn't get it all out of a few. I even broke one trying to extract from it. Nothing too bad, just blew a hole in it...

Hello Legs
I used to get mine from a transport company but they stopped that. I got my last six from a new house build 50 metres down the road... carried them all the way up the hill..
If you look round the back of builder's merchants they usuallly have lots of broken pallets...ALl you need is a 1,5 metre wrecking bar and some brute force - and no ignorance...;)

Legs, some branches of Jewsons are happy to give pallets away to customers.

Cheers folks - I'm looking for a supply of intact pallets for constructing a compost heap...

Been away for a week (working) so today's plan is to try and get round all my hives to treat (varroa) and or feed!

Helped our local Association extract some 200lbs of honey this morning.

caught a sickly cast that was on it's way out with dead bees beneath. Caught them into an Keiler and sprayed bees with sugar syrup which perked them up no end. Think they were starving. Decent size for a mating hive, no idea about a queen at this stage.

Checked 10 of my colonies. Started clearing any remaining supers ready to remove them tomorrow. Treated other colonies that don't have supers for varroa and added feeders on 3 hives that are short of stores.

Rain and lack of any more clearer boards prevented me from checking the last 4 hives so will have to get round them later this week.

Planning an extraction run at the weekend!

This evening I hived a swarm into a 5 frame nuc and fed 2-1 syrup in frame feeder.
also found that one of my hives has plugs of pollen on floor in front of it , girls tidying up perhaps. Also fed other swarm now had 3 litres in 12 hours.
And killed 13 wasps with garden hoe while watching swarm settle in.
I thoroughly enjoyed that little b~~+**.

ZZ

:biggrinjester:

Feed four colonies today with Hivemakers recipe of thymol syrup. not worthy
I made up 5 litres of sugar syrup and added 1 teaspoons worth. As I poured the syrup into the jumbo feeders the bees poured out the entrance and started buzzing round outside the hive.

Forgot my camera but it was amazing to watch, by the time I finished the next hive they started to go back in the hive again.

:eek:

Latest posts

Back