What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a thread or description of how you make the underfloor entrances please. I've been looking but can't find it.

Here you go :)

Attachments

• The Brynmair slant on the Dartington inspired floor.doc
    45.5 KB · Views: 35
Interesting day with the bee inspector .... a thorough going through my hives with a clean bill of health....my new Buckfast queen has doubled in size in a week to be real stunner her ovaries full to the brim...now all we need is some weather

More dire warnings .
The hive can have frost on the inner walls whilst the cluster is snug !
Bees heat the cluster , not the hive !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Put the rapid feeder back on the main hive yesterday. Made a homemade contact feeder this morning and about to head down and pop that on the nuc. Hopefully they will find the newly flowering balsam soon and start bringing themselves some food in.

Just waiting on the syrup cooling.

Put the rapid feeder back on the main hive yesterday. Made a homemade contact feeder this morning and about to head down and pop that on the nuc. Hopefully they will find the newly flowering balsam soon and start bringing themselves some food in.

Just waiting on the syrup cooling.

If you are as impatient as I am - just add 20 or so ice cubes to the mix.

Stir and leave to stand for 5 minutes and its good to go.

I do this with a 15 litre batch and 20 cubes is enough to get it down to temp very quickly indeed!

Takes forever otherwise.

Jarring Softset and melting wax (for exhibits)!

Oh and delivered 2 Nucs this morning!

Hopefully the weather is better tomorrow for inspections!

Found two open charged QCs in an otherwise normal looking colony with this years queen. She is laying well and there is room to grow
One on the face of the comb amongst largely capped brood at the edge of the brood nest. The other on the last comb on the other side of the hive amongst empty cells....I destroyed this one.
Stores are low so I gave them some spare super frames with nectar.
Who knows?

Put new bees from a six frame nuc into a full size 10 frame . Lots of space being filled with nectar so I thought they might do with a little more room

Last edited:
Up early this morning to check on the Garn Cottage hives with the intention of Demarreeing a hive whose queen mated five or six weeks ago - it's absolutely bursting with bees and the queen is laying like a train. She must have known I was pressed for time, she was on the first frame I pulled which had very little brood in so quickly popped her into the new BB, quick check of the other frames and done - lucky, as the frame she was on was the tenth frame of brood. Now sat in my hotel in Kenilworth preparing for my venture into Mordor (AKA BBKA HQ) tomorrow - don't worry I'm not going over to the dark side (SWMBO has refused to sew any badges on the sleeves of my beesuit!) just a meeting with bees abroad.

35C in shade, night temps 20something.. Forced myself to start qrearing again, hopefully won't be stopped in it again..
Some long time beeks are quiting beekeeping, one even has decent queen stock, as he said not.. worthy ( underpriced honey, no value of any bee product) and that time with bees better he spend with kids..
Lime flow is over.. Bees got calm after it, not so frenzy..
There is some flow from forest and bushes, but nothing significant.. Planning final extraction for this season.
Migratory beeks going for sunflower these days..

I vaped theee hives yesterday. I don't want a repeat of last years losses.
Of the two colonies that survived one is split. The split has no brood. AND according to my inspection board no varroa !
It also, like its AS, has every mean bee in Wales.
The other killed its queen and is re-queening and has two supers on so not treated. Very few mites under the other two

Up to now I have had two failed attempts to open up further than taking the roof of, they still have pollen substitute and fondent in there so i'm not panicking yet the foragers are also brining pollen in, even in the heavy showers, the only productive thing I have done today is cut all the grass and nettles down around the hive entrance.

Checked through all our hives today, all expanding really well. There is honey on most of them but the weather we have been having they soon eat it. The three new queen we purchased about a month ago are laying really well, most frames are edge to edge. I also put the Nicot Cupkit system in the breeder hive before I cage the queen in it tomorrow, ready for some queen rearing as the weather supposed to be improving.

Back