What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe I should rename my hives 'bee house' then I could walk up the path behind My house and go and check my bee house through the gate just behind the chicken house, green house and outside sh................................ ine your buttons with brasso it's only two an hapence a tin, you can buy it or swipe it from Woolworths, but i don't thin k they've got any in.

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii thenkyew :D

Ha ha ha ...... No! ....You may not jump onto my bandwagon.....was that a Bee House or a Beehaus? ....and your chickens live in Eglus and your Greenhouse is really a Garden Room.....ha ha ha ha ......

Bees piling in the pollen today in the home hive.

Attachments

• DSC_0003 crop.jpg
    DSC_0003 crop.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 48
As its a beautiful day i thought i would remove some frames of honey i left on last year (super on top) the honey is capped, definatly not set & there was new nectar in there too. I also found the queen up there & she was laying eggs up there, no brood in there but lots in the Bb. Plenty of space in the Bb for her to lay but she has laid in the super. I decided to put the QE on & move her down. Plenty food below & lots of bees, all lovely & calm, no smoke needed again.
Will they now remove these eggs or rear them as normal?

With the sun coming out this afternoon, I checked out the mega busy hive. Lots of eggs, larvae and capped brood across 7 frames as well as pollen and new stores. Stores across 3.5 other frames. These are 14x12 frames apart from one National sized. They build drone cells on the lower part. This was about 3/4 full of drone cells, and there were a few drones already wandering around the frames.

Numerous empty queen cups on 3 of the brood frames.

Couldn't see the queen, but she's somewhere there.

Added a couple of extra 14x12 frames as they were solid across all the current 11 frames. This seems a rather strong colony now. But very docile ;)

Popped around out apiaries to check weights, not really thinking I would have to open any. Most were ticking along fine but at one site they were ' bouncing' and I opened them to check. Brood across all but two frames, one with a frame of capped drone brood. Swapped this out but made me think swarming may be sooner than I thought, will be opening them all at all sites on next visit!
Think beekeeping 2015 has started..... Hurrah
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

One of the super frames i took off today, this honey is one with the ivy taste & removing the cappings it is NOT set, is that fresh nectar too or honey been moved?image.jpg

... i thought i would remove some frames of honey i left on last year [...] I also found the queen up there & she was laying eggs up there, no brood in there but lots in the Bb. Plenty of space in the Bb for her to lay but she has laid in the super. I decided to put the QE on & move her down.
Heat rises, the super would be the warmest part of the hive.

All mine checked, three queens marked.
I colony has patchy worker brood and one frame three quarters drone.
Will unite with another next week.
Two colonies running on vapour as far as stores go. Good job I looked in.

Transferred a colony onto a new floor and BB but couldn't find the Q anywhere.

Eventually closed up everything, and put lid back on, only to see a small ball of bees under the hive! Sure enough there she was. Popped her back in the hive, Phewee!

Visited the apiary, first time this year in a suit, as the bees were very active, and didn't want any more stuck in my curly hair!

checked all hives, some progress is being made on fondant, on four... one colony is still eating fondant I can see they've eaten and created a hole, but another colony has really started to eat like made, from the last visit, and the number of bees in this colony is on 6-7 frames, many more bees than all the other colonies, time maybe to inspect, when weather is warm, will have to keep an eye on this one.... all still on super underneath, maybe time to swap them round. (watch added to this hive!)

Checking through crown board, could not determine if brood present, but pollen going into all hives.

The last swarm I acquired last year, seems to be dwindling...keep an "watch" on this colony as well. Unless bees hive moved from top of frames to somewhere else! Seems to have less bees....

Popped around out apiaries to check weights, not really thinking I would have to open any. Most were ticking along fine but at one site they were ' bouncing' and I opened them to check. Brood across all but two frames, one with a frame of capped drone brood. Swapped this out but made me think swarming may be sooner than I thought, will be opening them all at all sites on next visit!
Think beekeeping 2015 has started..... Hurrah

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

yep, found an almost identical situation today,10 frames of brood but on that hive it had no drone brood , though others with drone frames meant the chicken's had a good breakfast and lunch,

Had a look at the out apiary today - charged Q cells and new drones on the wing....

Moved last years bait hive 100 metres from our car park to a place where guests are less likely to get stung! Did this yesterday and apart from a few nosey girls checking out the old site they all seem to have taken to the move. I covered the hive entrance with a big pile of hedge trimmings and it seems to have done the trick as they were all flying around in circles this morning re-orientating themselves. Good job for once that they don't read the books!

Really warm today so I did some inspections as I won't be around for the next 3 weeks. One hive had 8 frames of brood and were spilling bees, very strong so I added room. Very surprised about that. Was caught short halfway through inspecting so had a pee but forgot to zip my hood back up. Bee in the hood and a sting on the neck! I'm just glad I remembered to zip up elsewhere

inspected 8 more today,6 Q right bias and strong, 2 drone layers. Total of 21 checked,18 good, 2 drone layers, 1 weak and struggling. Not too bad!

Cut the grass today, painted a spare BB. & supers. Watched bees, & spotted quite a few solitary bees out & about today.

Really warm today so I did some inspections as I won't be around for the next 3 weeks. One hive had 8 frames of brood and were spilling bees, very strong so I added room. Very surprised about that. Was caught short halfway through inspecting so had a pee but forgot to zip my hood back up. Bee in the hood and a sting on the neck! I'm just glad I remembered to zip up elsewhere

At least you didant for get to zip up the main man but then again a bit of swelling down there wouldn't go down to badly

Inspected all my colonies today, such beautiful weather!
Found and marked a queen, added a super to the strongest hive - 8 frames brood.

Glorious day in the ERoY so had my first look of the year at my colonies (well two of them). Both with 5 frames of bees and 4 frames of bias. One colony had no stores left and the other had 5 full frames so swapped 2 over.
Changed the floors for my recently constructed dartington-type ones. Amazing how a vertical change of around 3 cm can cause chaos for 30mins! Caused a huge queue of foragers with full yellow pollen baskets.

Latest posts

Back