What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked one colony which gad needed a bit of TLC last month - going fine now with a lovely brood pattern - nadired some of the hives with supers on - like Redwood surprised at how much they're pacing in - one super was almost empty when I put clearing boards on Wednesday - now almost full!!:banghead: pity I couldn't have waited a week for the last extraction, but enough is enough.

Took the first frame out of 1E and joy unconfined, wall-to-wall sealed brood; darker cappings so she's been laying most of three weeks. I had just shouted "I LOVE BEEKEEPING" and was about to drop the frame back in, to leave them alone as promise, when I saw one supersedure cell on the other side, about 5 days from laying and not far from being sealed. So much for that idea. So through the whole colony and there were frame after frame of eggs. Maybe not many 4-5 day-old larvae, so I see the bees' point, but I respectfully disagreed and we'll see if they insist. No shortage of eggs to do that...

1D next, and so sign of a Q.

Then 3, and no sign of swarming, just a good strong nuc.

Buckybeast next, for some light super manipulation. I had left some frames misaligned in the upper brood box. WHY!!? So had to sort that out and noticed that they are still making huge numbers of drones: male bees in all stages (didn't look for eggs). So that made me change my mind on 1E: one last chance.

So took a frame of sealed brood and one of eggs from 3 to 1E, making it 3A. It has felt like a long season for a while so let's see. I wish I'd seen the 3 Q though, just to be certain I wasn't messing up.

Only a couple of extractable frames and with the ivy now flowing, my season is over. What a first season it's been!

Went up to my four earlier today with the intention of trying to do a proper inspection on at least one before I start treatments/feeding etc. They've been so stroppy lately (after I've been taking honey off) that I had butterflies at the thought of going right in and was doubtful if I could do more than one inspection a day because of their aggression when opened. Really happy, was able to work my way through all of them with no trouble, no aggression, they're back to being pussy-cats. BIAS in all four, stores satisfactory in three, and hardly any stores at all in what I considered to be the strongest hive. Thank goodness I got a good look-in because on all external indications I'd have expected them to be the most well-stocked. Put thymolised syrup on to get them topped up quickly, and there is boundless ivy here that they always make the most of so I'm hoping all is OK. Reinforced the importance of checking everything on each colony and not playing guessing games though!

hardly any stores at all in what I considered to be the strongest hive. Thank goodness I got a good look-in because on all external indications I'd have expected them to be the most well-stocked. Reinforced the importance of checking everything on each colony and not playing guessing games though!

Absolutely agree and in my mind the time to be doing that is when the last super comes off, subsequently keep an eye out on what the weather is doing and leave well alone.

Watched the hives entrances for 1/2 hour,99% coming in covered in balsam pollen and looking very laden with nectar-big balsam flow on here right now,think i might have to add extra supers this week!

Picked a load of damsons, removed ten supers, picked some blackberries and a few apples.
Just finished some apple and blackberry tart. Lovely.

Shaking out bees to make up packages with new queens.

Are they being hived on foundation or drawn comb? Fed to build them up? 3lb packages or bigger? Are they destined for production colonies in 2015 or over-wintered nucs for sale next spring? Apologies for the multiple questions but I'm intrigued!

Extraction nearly over, one more hive next week And that's it for another year. Interesting to hear that bees starving as it's quite the contrary down here.

Redwood and I put clearer boards on the association hives, used my rhombus boards on the nationals but had to use porter escapes on the WBC..bit miffed nice new cedar WBC from Maisies - 'crown' boards as per usual with two porter shaped holes - escapes didn't fit - holes too small :banghead:

My preference would have been rhombus but didn't have time to knock up a WBC sized one - my thought would have been if you buy something with a hole ready made to take a piece of kit it would have fitted, but then again with the skilfully wielded hive tool of Redwood and a tad of gentle persuasion - it does now!

Background: I've had my two hives for just a month, I inherited them but the previous owner was seriously ill since last summer, so the hives had been neglected for some time and are looking the worse for it.
My inner heart says be a 'light touch' bk, I've spent a lot of time sitting less than a yard away from the entrances just watching and getting to know them, but I do realise that I need to be aware of what's going on inside the hive as well. I don't know them that well yet, so I plan to leave them plenty of their own stores this first winter.

Saturday - Hive 1.
Checked all the frames and removed brace comb from the top two supers, removed all the nails from the runners and fitted plastic spacers - they were not in exact spacing so making equidistant frames impossible - now I can lift the first frame and slide the others apart - much better.
Checked the few frames that were not braced in the BB, no sign of foul brood or wax moth. (I do realise that not seeing it isn't the same as it not being there!) I didn't want to cut too much into the brood frames, for fear of squidging the queen, and I'd spent a good time already with the hive open so I left the braced comb there intact.
The BB frames look quite old and are very congested with brace comb - the lower super's frames were almost welded to the brood box, it took quite a while to clean up just the two supers.
Given all that I did to them they were quite calm, a bit of a 'hum' when I lifted the lower super and a frame from the brood box lifted and fell back in, but they are really gentle, I didn't need to use much smoke at all.
With this hive, going to leave brood box and a super on for the winter, there was no QX but no sign of brood in the two supers except for a slight darkening of the wax in the middle frames of the lower one. Only two frames of the top super were drawn, As I have to visit the hive a couple more times for the apiguard treatment, I'll consider how I will arrange the supers, I'll probably take the top almost empty one off, and nadir the other.

As we're approaching the 'close season' now I'll plan to do a complete frame and foundation swap of the brood box in the spring.
Finished off by dispensing the first dose of apiguard, and added an eke and a new insulated crown board (both made the day before).

I had also built a "vortex escape" for hive 2 following the plans on Dave Cushman's site. This went on that hive under the top two quite heavy supers which were above a QX covering a brood and a half. Hopefully the escape will work! When I took the second super off, I found that the pierced aluminium QX was split into two pieces ( probably a legacy of all the boxes being different sizes!) so the queen could have gone higher, so putting the escape on, I took the QX off, and finished off with a new insulated crown board (the existing one was in multiple pieces)

Sunday - Hive 2
Even more work on this hive, three supers and a brood box with a queen excluder above the brood +half, planning to extract the top two supers, the top one has just a couple of frames with honey and the next one very full. Took the roof off and ... surprise ... nothing! not a single bee left in the top two supers so very pleased with the vortex design. :)

Debridged the remaining super, again this hive has a very bridged BB so to minimise damage I turned the brood box so it was on it's side with the frames vertical, and scraped off the comb that was on the frame bottoms. No risk of squishing HM as every frame was welded to the next, they weren't going anywhere!
I then rebuilt the hive with a new bottom entry floor and verroa screen, (using the design in a post referenced recently here a few times), nadired the full super, put the brood box on top, and again finished off with an eke, apiguard and a new top cover.

The ladies were obviously initially confused when the new floor went in, heading for the pheromones escaping from the now leaky join between the new floor and old brood box, but today they're busy foraging and seem to be content and using it well.

Lots still to do, both brood boxes need replacing, the comb looks quite old compared with the supers, the wood is rotting on a couple of bottom edges but I'll leave all that until spring. I may put an external cladding on or put a shelter over the hives to keep the weather off if winter turns very wet or cold. They look healthy enough, I can't see verroa in either hive, not on the bees (I've been up quite close and personal as much as I can) or on the floors, but I haven't been able to inspect cells in the brood frames yet.

It felt like a marathon weekend... but glad I've done it all now as the weather looks better for the next week or so for the apiguard application to take effect.

have put some photos here:
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=669

Last edited:
Tell me again why beekeepers like WBC hives

So many new beekeepers buy them - when I ask why, it's because "They look like proper beehives"....unlike my national tea chests.

Also, come to think of it, why buy a 'peaked roof' as you can't put it upside down on the ground to put Supers on?

The only reason we have a WBC at the training apiary is so that every beginner can have a go at inspecting it. Most do end up asking the question why? and opt for a national hive. We do have apex roofs as well - they're in the shed now - I gave up on them halfway through last season.

As we're approaching the 'close season' now I'll plan to do a complete frame and foundation swap of the brood box in the spring.
..... Lots still to do, both brood boxes need replacing, the comb looks quite old compared with the supers, the wood is rotting on a couple of bottom edges but I'll leave all that until spring. I may put an external cladding on or put a shelter over the hives to keep the weather off if winter turns very wet or cold.

It felt like a marathon weekend... but glad I've done it all now as the weather looks better for the next week or so for the apiguard application to take effect.

have put some photos here:
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=669

It does sound like a marathon weekend.

Have you thought about doing a Bailey Frame Change in the Spring? This would get the bees onto new frames and into new boxes without too much hard work.

This thread might help; a forum search will turn up a lot more hits. There's also a lot of information on Beebase and on Dave Cushman's site

Jenkins

...... and guess what's on the front cover of this month's BBKA journal, I think they were designed before "man made climate change global warming" was invented

rich

Latest posts

Back