What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked 3 hives as got warm in the afternoon, received more stings thn usual today.
1st hive - eggs seen- had been waiting on a supercedure.
2nd hive - queen cell hatched on 29th - patience - superc again.
3rd hive - eggs seen - not full inspection done due to hood being unzipped!:p

Restocked five apideas and a Comm. nuc mostly in the rain with a golf umbrella (a first on the home apiary!) and added cells. Bit like rolling a dice this queen rearing lark this year. May excellent, June rubbish, middle of July excellent. August...<shrug>.

Took a quick look at the supers situation and reduced frames on several. The sudden change back in the weather has left lots half to two-thirds full. Hmm.

Realised, after two successive weeks of breaking down QCs on a Q+ hive with loads of space, that actually even though there's BIAS it's patchy and maybe they're trying to supersede... D'oh. Loads of supers (now drawing number four) but not a lot of brood so I'll have to watch that and maybe combine them if they're weak in September.

That's two of my hives at it now, another one is Q- and waiting for a QC to hatch, which isn't ideal - both had mated queens which were laying well and now I've got the prospect of one or both being Q- going into autumn.

At least my other two are (currently) doing great and I can forget about them until harvest & treatment time.

:hurray:what a differene a week of sun makes :eek:

inspected a few hives to day, dreading it as it was a ten days since last inspection due to actually getting some tickets to go to some Olympic events

Barnet 3 hives BIAS 8-10 frames and a 5 fram Nuc BIAS
Radlett Hive BIAS 7 frames and the Q- swarm large QC on egg frame
NW7 6 hives BIAS 7-10 frames
NW4 roof 2 hives BIAS 6 & 8 frames
Isolation 1 hives and 2 swarms BIAS
WC2 roof 2 Hives BIAS 8 frames

hope tomorrow goes just as well

Last edited:
found and marked a newly mated queen in a nuc, bees have a lovely temperament and the queen has been laying worker brood in a good brood pattern.
added clearing boards to 2 colonies, 4 supers coming off tomorrow (3 from one colony, 1 on the other)

I'm waiting for the bees to go to bed for the night so I can close them in and strap the hive. I'm moving them tomorrow.

Had a quick inspection on the way home from work as the forecast is poor over the weekend.

Looks like they are beginning to slow down for winter. A lot less drones about and 1 less frame of brood and one more of stores. The brood pattern is good though and plenty of eggs.

They are however being slow to put stores in the super. There is some going in but not much. They seem to be favouring putting it in the brood box.

I'd like to pass on my best wishes at a difficult time.

It must be terrible not to be able to see the eggs.

Dusty

:hurray: dont worry i am home and hopefully will soon be well enough to help look for those ity bity egg's. :rolleyes:.........seriously thank you outlander :) for looking after my bees while the N&NUH looked after me

Last edited:
My new hive and nuc turned up this morning so went out a bought some Osmo oil and treated them with this this evening had to take the whole lot in doors to finish as some of the girls thought I had no business there doing it. This was unusual for them so put it down to the smell of the oil.:hurray:

:hurray:what a differene a week of sun makes :eek:

inspected a few hives to day, dreading it as it was a ten days since last inspection due to actually getting some tickets to go to some Olympic events

Barnet 3 hives BIAS 8-10 frames and a 5 fram Nuc BIAS
Radlett Hive BIAS 7 frames and the Q- swarm large QC on egg frame
NW7 6 hives BIAS 7-10 frames
NW4 roof 2 hives BIAS 6 & 8 frames
Isolation 1 hives and 2 swarms BIAS
WC2 roof 2 Hives BIAS 8 frames

hope tomorrow goes just as well

But did you take the bus!:)

inspected two swarms from mid july in nuc boxes , both now have plenty of capped brood and in a good pattern.

Saw first signs of honey this year. Yippee!
One hive has actually capped some off. The other is a hive I united recently and they seem to be working together at last. Loads of uncapped honey. Pinched some. I know I can't store it as its uncapped. No worries, it went down a treat with yoghurt. Payback for last weeks stings.

extracted 180lbs yesterday[mainly balsam]and i have another 6 supers to do.Lot of work with a 2 frame extractor but im getting there.

Checked the swarm that i housed last night. Cant beleive they have drawn nearly 3 frames both sides out and placed a 2nd super on a colony that has been split twice this year. First time on the 16th of may. And had 2 as againe on the 27 of june. She must surely be running out of eggs by now

Think he means "had to A/S again"

Today I moved my bees to their temporary out apiary 5 miles from my garden, they'll be coming back to my new out apiary soon (which is less than 1 mile away)

While I was there, there the beek to whom the temporary apiary belongs had a quick check of his hives, another quick lesson for me!

checked the main colony from which one super was extracted yesterday and found they're filling 3 supers, the lowest being quite heavy, two frames each end partially capped and the two empty frames i inserted near the middle being drawn neatly despite not even having starter wax on it and some cells being filled with nectar.

Checked the brood box after the disaster of thinking I'd released a drone laying queen in there which might have been lurking in the supers above QEx a week ago and found 5 frames of BIAS and thank heavens 2 and a bit frames of capped worker brood - queen (s?) still elusive. supers no longer have drone brood in them either - whew!

returned wax cappings on crown board for bees to clean up

Latest posts

Back