What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inspected my 3 hives & 2 nucs, saw all 5 queens, all well. Marked one queen as previous marking (bought queen) was wearing off. I tried tippex today :)

Added one super to my "big" hive which was quite feisty today. My demaree seems to have put a stop to swarm preparations & the bottom box with the queen is making comb & the queen laying eggs

A recently introduced queen was happily wandering about her nuc so I removed the cage. The nuc queens are going to requeen two of the hives in a month's time.

Yesterday did some grass bashing in the apiary in anticipation of todays' Deluge !
Today, Talk about stair rods Grrr! This Summer is shaping up to be the summer that never was :(
VM

Inspected the hive on the Cathedral roof.

I was rather apprehensive because last time (a week ago) I'd spilled syrup all over the place, and, of course, there's no easy way of washing it away up there.

However, they didn't get robbed, the rain last night has well cleared anything away and they are fine. But very quiet, not much flying, come-drawing or anything else.

Dusty.

well lost 2 swarms from my own bees while i have been away all sorted out for now. I have put 12 supers on hives today and will have to make up the supers that I meant to make up in the winter lol.
Funny how in the space of 2 weeks they have gone from just about having enough stores to now filling every thing.

Sun popped out this afternoon so took a stroll around apiary . Farmer had slid a 3 ton digger into the duck pond :eek:. tilt was such that engine cut out and wouldn't start even though he's refill diesel tank to make sure suction pipe was below fuel level ! There was a fairly (non too warm) breeze blowing but all hives were extremely busy :)
On my return farmer told me he'd seen two green woodpeckers last evening !
None seen in these parts so I'd better take precautions this Winter :)
VM

checked supers, from starving to filling brood box and supers in just over a week and got stung by a wasp.... mind you i was trying 2 give them powder at the time

Marked my polynuc queen (yellow) yesterday, now she has started laying.

Booked association extraction room for tomorrow evening for first extraction of the year - hoping for around 70-80 lb off the 1 hive.

A strange day...

The good news first

The cast after 6 weeks is now brood and eggs wall to wall, and managing to do it with a smaller number of bees than you would expect... so we removed the QE to go b+1/2.

The next hive( a split we thought we have to combine was)... , full of BIS as well but it had a couple of dummy boards so they now have 3 frames to go. Obviously as super needed there soon.

The bad news.
The two other hives(splits) are in the throws of supercedure. unfortunately we accidently destroyed the supcedure cells in one. So a donation of a frame of eggs from the first Hive I mentioned .

Inspected the hive on the Cathedral roof.

I was rather apprehensive because last time (a week ago) I'd spilled syrup all over the place, and, of course, there's no easy way of washing it away up there.

However, they didn't get robbed, the rain last night has well cleared anything away and they are fine. But very quiet, not much flying, come-drawing or anything else.

Dusty.

someone up there must be looking out for them :D

Went to the apiary 9:00 fitted clearing boards to 2 hives and went back 15:00 and removed 2 of the supers got home decapped and extracted 42lb of lovely honey which is now in a settling tank ready for bottling tomorrow

put together the supers I meant to put together over winter lol

installed an api eke and rhombus clearer board under one of the supers which have all 10 frames nearly fully capped - I shook the frames and no liquid flew out. The bees are drawing new comb on the 2 frames sans foundation which I inserted in the lowest super about 5 days ago. The lowest super is now also filling up nicely and feeling quite heavy.

Meanwhile, the brood box showed up eggs and very young larvae - fingers crossed for girlie brood. There were too many bees to notice a queen though and the queen ex still looks pretty clean ...

Last week I united a strong nuc with a q- hive. Today on inspection all is well, the new queen has been accepted and is laying well. Thanks to Poly Hive and others here who gave me advice.

Thanks Guys

3bees - Nice when it all goes to plan innit :)

REDWOOD said:
Went to the apiary 9:00 fitted clearing boards to 2 hives and went back 15:00 and removed 2 of the supers got home decapped and extracted 42lb of lovely honey which is now in a settling tank ready for bottling tomorrow
:drool5: See you for breakfast? I'll bring the Lavazza ;)

Had a quick look in my hives. Hive 1 did a dodge last saturday in moving frame of stores and broosing it and putting in the middle of the brood nest, now full of eggs, didnt see the marked queen again though but she must be in there (not being able to see her last 3 times). Estimating 6.5-7 frames of brood, good full frame of stores plus arc on most frames packed with stores, lots of new nectar coming in too.

Hive two a lot smaller by comparison but slowly growing on 5-5.5 frames of brood, but drawing new foundation finally. Soon as one is nearly drawn replacing it too and moving stores back.

What I have learnt although I could where a tshirt comfortable they wasnt 100% happy at me opening them at 16-17 degrees so will avoid in future unless absolutely nesscary. Also need to get smaller gloves, keep getting them trapped when putting frames back and sometimes getting one of the ladies which doesn't make them too happy and all crowd round, then the pinging started on my gloves.

Back