What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took my lunch into the apiary, as is my wont on a nice day. Got stung on the septum, which wasn't so good :mad:

Spent a relaxing 5 mins watching bees bringing in shedloads of yellow pollen.. All 7 colonies. There must be a large source somewhere near.

I'm starting to worry about swarming already.

Ummmm, I'm looking forward to it.:cool:

Plum, Apricot and Peach flowering here. Pears, apples and cherries soon but the bees will mainly leave these for the Colza, (OSR).

Chris

Cracked open my first crownboard of the season. Chose my most forward hive which certainly proved to be well advanced.
B L E well established over 8 frames. Pollen and nectar stored. Play cups noted:eek:. More space needed.
Cazza

What did I do in the apiary today?
Got a sting over the eye which is now completely closed. Hoping my homemade cider will cure it - well I'm gonna try! :cheers2:

Well excitement today.

Lovely and sunny so decided to take a look inside. Now a longstanding and very experienced local beekeeper said when he found the queen he always put it in a clip and kept it in his pocket while going through the hive. So I thought I'll try this. Found the queen and got her in the clip, but unfortunately several others crept in as well.
Opened the clip a fraction to let the others out and dropped the queen in the long grass!!

Ten minutes of frantic searching managed to find her again and get her back inside..phew!! Won't do that again.

Apart from that everything fine, brood eggs food and pollen coming in.

Well excitement today.

Lovely and sunny so decided to take a look inside. Now a longstanding and very experienced local beekeeper said when he found the queen he always put it in a clip and kept it in his pocket while going through the hive. So I thought I'll try this. Found the queen and got her in the clip, but unfortunately several others crept in as well.
Opened the clip a fraction to let the others out and dropped the queen in the long grass!!

Ten minutes of frantic searching managed to find her again and get her back inside..phew!! Won't do that again.

Apart from that everything fine, brood eggs food and pollen coming in.

:eek:

First inspection tomorrow :):)
Weather forecast good

Well excitement today.

If the hive is really full and busy and I'm anticipating a long look and or some manipulations I often pop the frame the queen is on into a nuc box.

Well that's another idea, although as my queens are clipped I can't see any major issue with leaving them in the hive.

So why put her in a clip in the first place?
Looks a horrid instrument.
Looks like one I might just bisect a queen with if I tried to use it....shiver

The four hives don't have mouse guards but are on Dartington type floors, leaving me to think perhaps having to negotiate a vertical 10 mil slot is causing the bees to loose their pollen loads ?
VM

Haven't noticed it at all with mine VM
- maybe I should have added 'so far' - just got back for my days off and the bees are, well, busy - carrying massive loads of yellow pollen and maybe a bit of hazel into all three hives and yes they are dropping a few pellets of yellow pollen on the alighting board, maybe it's something peculiar to willow?
All the hives were giving out a steady satisfied roar and they're still taking down fondant - topped up the busiest one (no fondant left) until I have time to take stock and work out my plan for the next few weeks (not on paper BTW :D)
When I get settled and check the forecasts I may do a quick inspection on all three and move the nuc to its new location in the next village

Arrgghh - Had a lovely day today - and could have had a lovely inspect etc...except I am in Lynton on the wrong side of Devon - sobs quietly in the corner - boo hoo :(

08:30 checked the hives whilst waiting for kettle to boil - not that warm here but bees starting to pop out already - they've also cleared up all the pollen pellets left on the alighting board yesterday.

Had to put on my first super yesterday as one of the hives was choked with bees. I'm hoping for a warm dry Saturday afternoon so I can get around my other colonies and check whether any stores need bruised/removed...

One hive doing not a lot, the other hive is a "hive" of activity in the sun.....I am still not openening up till next month though.

Off to heft.

I am off later to heft my hives and check on stores levels.

Poggle.. quite right.. if they have pollen going in, regularly and the basket sizes on the bees are big. You can be fairly sure you queen is there and laying. Younger bees, bigger pollen baskets and less frayed wings.

Unpacked my two new see-through crownboards - they arrived really quick, I only ordered them on the 18th.
Well done, T'ornes :hurray:

Latest posts

Back