What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhhhh today wasn't my favourite inspection...

I'm possibly requeening colony 3. Probably Abelo buckfast unless others can recommend decent alternatives that don't cost over £35.

Abelo are out of stock
Get one from Exmoor Bees ( Hivemaker)
Don’t waste her though. You’ve got time to make up a nuc and get her laying there before uniting with your daft hive

Abelo are out of stock
Get one from Exmoor Bees ( Hivemaker)
Don’t waste her though. You’ve got time to make up a nuc and get her laying there before uniting with your daft hive
Erica..where do you get this information from as it is spot on..are you a owld Queen bee Reincarnated..

more supers going on

Thanks Erica/Steve,

Yeah I deffo don't fancy wasting a queen. Will have to make a plan.

The pics below show the state of the mini mating hive combs. Comments welcome:

y4m2b6-KYuoFoToKXZwGDqDaVD3R8jSqGXbqexGel0GWH4WRfdN28yrCY5OVdolUkQ5LDGzf288jrbj1I2lvhw-TbH4o5Ud6o9iUHfuH9_ILnKEQLOQkuFsVkP9il72hWrmDsNDwNM3Cn0584UQW229ll5FACIaxSS2kMWjsmCCyZunLRplkqEDaqTPJH5-1vcvNMf_Bdv3HUTKPQ0eFiaWcw

y4m7Rd5de97yoRZlMkUNKM9sqcUd1dTOR-ZuaclqYBj05rfLMYGf_4XtobPZguye-EcFd4pZHZ_HntOa4OS8dCYkDxur_a2G4q7s-HpHBNnD5ujUMo9X9FtXQM-T8w01JPRJic9z70lkpp8RoxktHb1o5ijipGxGCPT10Iq-1YOCumHwo0n5ZM8EZF_kpgao4TDduIBzJNxitlyqHMhu6_dog

Thanks Erica/Steve,

Yeah I deffo don't fancy wasting a queen. Will have to make a plan.

The pics below show the state of the mini mating hive combs. Comments welcome:

y4m2b6-KYuoFoToKXZwGDqDaVD3R8jSqGXbqexGel0GWH4WRfdN28yrCY5OVdolUkQ5LDGzf288jrbj1I2lvhw-TbH4o5Ud6o9iUHfuH9_ILnKEQLOQkuFsVkP9il72hWrmDsNDwNM3Cn0584UQW229ll5FACIaxSS2kMWjsmCCyZunLRplkqEDaqTPJH5-1vcvNMf_Bdv3HUTKPQ0eFiaWcw

y4m7Rd5de97yoRZlMkUNKM9sqcUd1dTOR-ZuaclqYBj05rfLMYGf_4XtobPZguye-EcFd4pZHZ_HntOa4OS8dCYkDxur_a2G4q7s-HpHBNnD5ujUMo9X9FtXQM-T8w01JPRJic9z70lkpp8RoxktHb1o5ijipGxGCPT10Iq-1YOCumHwo0n5ZM8EZF_kpgao4TDduIBzJNxitlyqHMhu6_dog
It look's bad Jazz..the best thing you can do is worry about the full hives you have now,...get them strong and maybe mess on next year OR even the next year..

Jarred up 18lbs I extracted on Mon. Not quite sure why I ordered 8oz jars instead of 12s.....

I know you people are busy and don't want to disturb your colonies longer than necessary, but any chance of more pics of frames, or useful images to help novices like me. So many frame pics on the web seem to describe cells that look the same as different things. E.g honey, drones, workers.
I will do the same, so you can hopefully advise all is well, or problems you see.

I marked 7 queens with green dots today, found that 5 newly introduced queens have all been accepted & several hives which had almost no brood at all in last time have finally got mated laying queens. I now have 16 nucs with laying queens in (6 on National frames for sale next year & the rest are for me). Balsam nectar coming in, no drone eggs being laid in drone combs now.

Staged my exhibits for the Gower Show. Chatted to the Judge who was sat outside waiting to do his business and showed him the inside cover of a first edition Cowan I'd bought on ebay last month -his jaw dropped a bit when he saw it was his name and address written on it!

Last edited:
Staged my exhibits for the Gower Show. Chatted to the Judge who was sat outside waiting to his business and showed him the inside cover of a first edition Cowan I'd bought on ebay last month -his jaw dropped a bit when he saw it was his name and address written on it!

Small world.

Took another 4 supers off and extracted them. Another load of honey in the store and boxes waiting to go back on the hives.

However it is currently completely persisting down. Biggest cloud burst I have seen in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Placed four was traps, didn't take long to catch a few.

Removed 5 supers for extraction, another 3 to take off tomorrow and replace some.

My Q- colony has no eggs, they don't seem to have accepted the queen I got from Exmoor Bees, I had her in the cage five days as well. First time this has happened me unfortunately. Might try a unite with a nuc. This colony has been such a hassle this year.

Did inspection yesterday - like Angry_mob, looks like my Nuc haven't accepted a new Q from Exmoor either - no sign of aggression before releasing her (she was caged in there before opening the tab). No brood to be seen anywhere, no supercedure cells, and no queen :-/

Checked all my hives yesterday after getting back from holiday in Wales...
All is well but they are not capping many super frames, will leave them until next week then extract.

1 hive had no eggs and could not find the queen
. S
No sign of QC's so added a frame of eggs to test.

Latest posts

Back