What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those 2 blokes in the picture have the cleanest bee suites I’ve ever seen

Those 2 blokes in the picture have the cleanest bee suites I’ve ever seen

Actually I take that back having just seen the beebase how to build a Asian hornet trap video 2 blokes building a trap in brand new bee suits WHY!!! Low efficiency traps to boot mind you:sorry:

Extracted the first ton of 2018 crop. 30+ more to go. Looks like an excellent cry of white honey.

We have extracted (Sandra lol) just over ten tons here, lots more stacked up awaiting extraction and several apiaries yet to clear, then see what the heather brings.

Back in the real world.... ;)

Extracted my Borage honey PM...didn't take very long.
Average 16lbs per hive.
Very poor this year. We were definitely victims of this years drought where we take our hives.
Again I found some capped honey that was very runnyand tested at 21% water. Fortunately plenty was less. Iit ended up at 19.5% water, which is high for Borage previous years are usually 17-18%.

The smaller the crystals the whiter it looks, summat to do with physics and reflected light.
Naturally set honey is usually darker as the the crystals are coarser (bigger).

Clover?
Champlain Valley is famous for its clover

Yes, the June clover flow was awesome this year. Hot humid weather and enough moisture in the ground. July was too dry with many days over 90˚ No sweet clover or lime this year. Still, all my supers are full, and the crop is excellent...even with fewer colonies this year after a significant winter loss.

A color classification of honey. One shade darker than water white...which is the color of water.

Thanks for clearing that up. Is it the clover honey that was white though? Honey sold as clover honey in this country is strong light yellow?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back