What colour do I mark our Queen - If we can find her?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all

We got our first and only colony last June when I collected a swarm.

The hive was regularly inspected over the Summer through to Autumn and we only saw HM three times, and of course each time we didn't have anything to mark her with us.

The colony has has come through the Winter and is exhibiting loads of activity, bees flying from dawn till dusk bringing in loads of pollen, so we assume that HM is still in residence and working hard.

We are probably going to do our first inspection of the season next weekend, and my question is what colour do we mark the Queen, assuming we manage to see and catch her?

I assume it should be Green as there is no way she can be a 2015 Queen at this stage, but what happens if she doesn't make an appearance until much later in the year - do we assume she is still the same queen and mark accordingly, or do we mark her as 2015? Is there a cut-off date?

I think I know the answer, but I would still appreciate some gentle guidance as to the standard policy, if such a thing actually exists?

Thanks

Andy

In the absence of any other indication that last year's queen has been superceded, or that she has been killed off accidentally and a new queen raised from queen cells, mark her green.

(It's unlikely she's been superceded; if she had been, how could the virgin queen be mated over winter? So, green it is.)

Dusty

It doesn't really matter, your own records will tell you which year.

A few reasons for marking a queen:
- to make her easier to spot in the hive.
- to know when you find your queen without a mark that she's been superseded.
- when you catch a swarm the queen marking may give you half a clue as to where the swarm came from (or didn't).
- and not least, one that came to mind while writing this - every mark is different so a photograph of a marked queen could prove ownership in the case of hive theft

In many cases, the colour of the marking doesn't add much, many people just use their favourite (or only) colour marker.

The only time it could be a problem is if you sell a queen and use colour deception to suggest she's younger than she really is.

All my queens are dayglow orange...easy to find.

Hive records tell her age..

Mine are white really easy to see. & i do keep records. If i catch a swarm with a coloured queen i know its not mine. I just hope they havent used white.:icon_204-2:

You can remember the international colour marking system by remembering this phase (use the first letter of each word to tell you the colour):

Will - White- years ending in 1 or 6
You - Yellow - years ending in 2 or 7
Raise - Red - years ending in 3 or 8
Good - Green - years ending in 4 or 9
Bees? - Blue - years ending in 0 or 5

You don't know for certain she is last year's queen as she came with a swarm -
I mark swarm and unknown queens dayglo pink - others by the proper colour code - if nothing else it helps to indicate supersedure/flown away. if you only have one or two hives you could just mark them the colour that makes it easiest for you to spot.

Hi Samurailord I don't bother marking queens this early anymore as two years ago I marked a queen early and they balled her and I lost a good hive due to putting a bit of colour on her I think. I would wait until there are drones about or there are queens available to buy only saying this as I don't want the same thing to happen to you and you lose your hive

Hi Samurailord I don't bother marking queens this early anymore as two years ago I marked a queen early and they balled her and I lost a good hive due to putting a bit of colour on her I think. I would wait until there are drones about or there are queens available to buy only saying this as I don't want the same thing to happen to you and you lose your hive

Sensible advice - i don't mark my queens early in the season - or lae for the same reasons

Hi all

Thanks for the replies, as I said in the opening post I was sure I knew the answer, but I'm glad I asked.

We will hold off marking her if we see her in the near future, and wait until the end of April or later. She will be marked Green.

Thanks for all the advice, especially the tip about not marking her too early, just in case.

It's advice like that that make being a member of this forum worthwhile - thanks again

Andy

Latest posts

Back