what are your bees bringing in late July / August

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bramble nearly over but there is Clover and Rosebay.
Haven't seen any white bees though there is Balsam locally.

Similar in Kent, lots of white and pink collection taking place, not sure what it is as they seem to have a forage point which currently have not identified.

90% sunflower at present and for the coming weeks with plenty of wild flowers that will go into September and beyond.

Très chaud aujourd'hui avec 35°C et plus.

Chris

90% sunflower at present and for the coming weeks with plenty of wild flowers that will go into September and beyond.

Très chaud aujourd'hui avec 35°C et plus.

Chris

Currently not far from you at the mo Chris (Le Langdon), strikes me sunflowers are to mid/west France what OSR is to the UK, only varies from OSR in that we get the odd down pour with the OSR and you get the odd giant hail stone storm! Never seen so many cars damaged so severely by one storm.

Currently not far from you at the mo Chris (Le Langdon), strikes me sunflowers are to mid/west France what OSR is to the UK, only varies from OSR in that we get the odd down pour with the OSR and you get the odd giant hail stone storm! Never seen so many cars damaged so severely by one storm.

We have the OSR in April and yield then is susceptible to the weather / temperature.

As you say, storm damage has been severe - I have loads of fallen trees to clear including a massive Lime but that's life in this part of the world, I've still got trees on their sides from the "big one" in Dec 1999.

Chris

Hi Guys,
Not a lot of pollen going in on the established hives as they have a lot of capped brood and stored pollen. However, I just moved my new queen, with lots of young nurse bees and very few foragers, into a nuc five days ago and they are bringing in pollen the colour of brace comb. I wonder what that might be? They are also collecting bright orangy-red pollen from the hawksbeards in my lawn, but that seems rather hard work!

Bramble, willow herb and balsam here. Lots of poppy pollen (almost blue black) and buddleia.

Hi Guys,
Not a lot of pollen going in on the established hives as they have a lot of capped brood and stored pollen. However, I just moved my new queen, with lots of young nurse bees and very few foragers, into a nuc five days ago and they are bringing in pollen the colour of brace comb. I wonder what that might be? They are also collecting bright orangy-red pollen from the hawksbeards in my lawn, but that seems rather hard work!

I put a nuc into a full brood box and loads of the light brown/pink pollen I would love to know what it is also

Ivy is already flowering in Fife. Which could be a worry for people who use this as winter stores

Forgot to add, these pics taken this morning 9 am.
Let's see, what thread had a guy enquiring whether it was too late to add a super?
:D
VM

VM

Very impressive meadows..I assume close to your hives?

All around ,
Some hay harvested but lots of wildlife corridors left plus abandoned allotments containing rose bay ,Canadian golden rod and Himalayan Balsam .
The balsam is recovering from the dry spell and now flowering in perfusion :)
VM

I've got lots of rosebay willowherb in the village and a fair amount of HB in Haigh Hall but The bees still refuse to fill the two supers on the hive. Perhaps they will have filled one by my next inspection. They had only started to draw out the first super at last inspection. A little disappointed.

:(

M

North Staffordshire. Rosebay WH, garden flowers eg lavender, buddleia large open daisies but they seem to still be heading up into the 4 large limes nearby. Two ashes close to the hive covered in ivy maybe useful later on in September.

Nil Desparandum Henry :)
Remember we are weeks behind . A cold long spring followed by along dry period has made nectar thin on the ground . There is ample time to fill you supers :)
VM

Latest posts

Back