what are your bees bringing in late July / August

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. But I'm disappointed they don't seem to have found any balsam this year.

They went crazy on it last year, leading to a massive crop of delightful honey.

Dusty

The balsam has been delayed by the dry spell and prolonged Winter. Never fear, it's only the 2nd of August man !
Once the flow starts in earnest , they will whack in ,in a couple of weeks :)
VM

The balsam has been delayed by the dry spell and prolonged Winter. Never fear, it's only the 2nd of August man !
Once the flow starts in earnest , they will whack in ,in a couple of weeks :)
VM

So there's still time for a crop? Yippee:winner1st:

In our latest beekeeping group newsletter we have been advised to make sure that by beginning of Aug all supers have been removed for honey extraction, and all colonies should be treated with Apiguard (or equiv) to ensure as low as poss VM count before the 'winter bee' production.

Looking at our bee activity it looks like they are still bringing in bramble pollen

anyone know what the possibility of some heather honey this year, it's looking a bit grim here

anyone know what the possibility of some heather honey this year, it's looking a bit grim here

I was in Ardnamurchan at the end of July and the heather was already in flower there. Very early.

A little far away for a trip from Swansea, though, I grant you....

Many different colours coming in. Some oriental Poppy and more Dandelion plus others I cannot identifyfor certain. Anti Himalayan Balsam vigilante groups are at work along the rivers in Sheffield i have pleaded with them to delay attacking the Balsam (which is considered a menace to the rivers) until the flowering period is finished. Though the trees logs and supermarket trollies that fall in don't seem to worry the river authorities until Meadowhall floods.

Well it is a long walk down the garden from the greenhouse to the house so the apiary is much closer - and the medication I'm on does play hell with the waterworks.

And I thought the yellow stains on your white bee suit was Propolis

just checked a few supers today for space, the top bars were stained bright yellow from the ragwort

Bucket loads of day-glo orange pollen - whatever that might be?

Latest posts

Back