What are you going to be selling queens for this year?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:iagree:

I would only have mongrels

I see Mr Harding has joined the forum.

I would love to see more input from BIBBA online. I have no idea if you hold a committee position or not but I really do wish that the organisation caught up with the modern world and learnt to communicate.

PH

Hello

This is a very old thread. I would like to point out though however, that I have been in contact with Mr Harding and I have found him to be extremely helpful. I found some of the responses to his blog about his forth coming book way over the top and slightly rude. I for one, am open minded to all beekeepers view points - particularly those who have kept bees for many years.

Regards
Tim

well Tim there is no rudeness intended.

I had your interests at heart as you stated you wanted/want to raise queens.

There are ways that are more successful than others.

But you are shrugging off the offer so whose loss?

Long since lost count of queens raised. And while I am in the mood, length of beekeeping time counts for jack. What counts is what has been learnt and achieved.

For the record, over 20 years here and of that time some 15 years running 60 - 80 colonies. Tons of honey produced, and many many queens raised.

PH

In reply to Bobsbees, I was not successful but the fact it didn't work was probably completely down to me. I did not have the time to or the resources to stick with the system last year and I tried the lid system - so the fact that it did not work was 99% down to my failings. Mr Harding clearly states that it has to be the right temperature to try the lid system. Also, the 2 nucs have to be 'BURSTING' with bees. Although the system had 2 strong colonies the system was not jam packed with bees - therefore, again down to the mistakes of myself. I would like to try the system again because I have a feeling that it will work with the right elements and a beekeeper that actually follows the principles properly - which I did not do last year. I did however, try the traditional method and I raised a number of queens for local members.

well Tim there is no rudeness intended.

I had your interests at heart as you stated you wanted/want to raise queens.

There are ways that are more successful than others.

But you are shrugging off the offer so whose loss?

Long since lost count of queens raised. And while I am in the mood, length of beekeeping time counts for jack. What counts is what has been learnt and achieved.

For the record, over 20 years here and of that time some 15 years running 60 - 80 colonies. Tons of honey produced, and many many queens raised.

PH

Are some Queen breeders afraid a Mr Tesco has come along? Just a thought.:)

I am not concerned with methods as such but with successes.

Your man has effectively said he needs weather.

Most queen rearing systems do but......... some are more dependant than others.

The shook bees in a nuc box is as bomb proof as it is possible to get in the uk.

Jenter is shaky at times as the queens have a very nasty habit of going hopitty skip... over the bits you want... lol

I am all for KISS as often posted, but for rearing queens grafting is the simplest under control.

PH

Well i hope "Mr Tesco" dosen't do for honey, the same he did to carrots

Well i hope "Mr Tesco" dosen't do for honey, the same he did to carrots

Perhaps a Mr Tesco producing lots of quality home grown queens would be a very good thing for UK beekeeping

Perhaps a Mr Tesco producing lots of quality home grown queens would be a very good thing for UK beekeeping

Or a Mr Kipling,as he already makes exceedingly good cakes,perhaps he could produce the King of Queens.

Far from it.

The best queen for your locality is a local one, and Mr Tesco is oblivious to this wee matter.

Last thing we want.

PH

Ah well,back to the drawing board for the Tesco plan-bee. Roll on spring,only another four weeks or so before the drone combs go in...all being well.

Point being is that Tesco carrots have no flavour.[/QUOTE

variety is the spice ..
I was just thinking a big uk bee breeder would be beneficial but I get your point SB

:hurray::iagree: as soon as money is involved people get sooo serious.;)

Money is a serious business.

Try existing with out it. :) difficult I find.

PH

Money is a serious business.

Try existing with out it. :) difficult I find.

PH

Last time I tried to explain Mr Osborne's master plan about their reduced fondant supplies,they told me to buzz off! I tried to explain "we are all in it together" but to no effect!:)

Regards and goodnight.

Hello Tim

Thank you for using my system.....am I to assume you have just 2 nucs?....if so please look at the photo again on BIBBA website....each side has the equivelent of 2 double brood ie 4 nucs each side causing congestion.....I do hope this helps.... do please contact me if you have any queries...

Your queens should be sold for a minimum of £25.00 each, when people realise what effort you have to go too, it is still cheap...

John Harding
Started to use your system last year(2010).used jenter kit for larvae transfer,16 transfered
got 16 beautiful queen cells then 16 apideas ,result 16 mated queens+ 6weeks beekeeping fun with 2 friends and 16 stocks for the local association.many thanks for going to the trouble to publish your system,cannot wait to try again in 2011
betterbee

Latest posts

Back