What Are They Up To?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markb2603

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hopefully an easy one for all you experienced beekeepers out there.

I’ve noticed a real pick up in activity in my hives over the last few days which is likely the result of non-rainy weather and the bramble starting to bloom. The bees in my stronger hive have literally been falling over each other when returning to the hive.

One thing I noticed the last two mornings and evenings, once the bulk of foragers are back is that the bees kind of congregate at the entrance and there are a good few out fanning. I tried to take a photo of it to illustrate but it doesn’t quite capture the volume of bees just inside the hive. I read somewhere that it could be as a result of the bees curing honey? Given they are well established I assume they’re not letting off pheromone for guidance purposes?

thanks!

15912654-65E4-4810-B835-34B788925851.jpeg8CD60FFF-CE50-4B99-B790-685D2B126139.jpeg

That is exactly what it sounds like. Should I try and assist by removing the white plug on the brood box? There is a plug on both supers as well and the crown board is currently solid but I can open up ventilation up there as well if needed. I had read somewhere that if you have the OMF then it was best to close up any gaps around the hive so there becomes a circular movement of air around the hive. Is that correct or should I be ventilating more? No issues with condensation to date the way it has been.

thanks.

Should I try and assist by removing the white plug on the brood box? There is a plug on both supers as well and the crown board is currently solid but I can open up ventilation up there as well if needed.
No, No, No and thrice no you do not need to 'ventilate' at all - the bees will do all that without us interfering. The crown board should be closed and hole free at all times (unless you have a feeder on

Should I try and assist by removing the white plug on the brood box? There is a plug on both supers as well and the crown board is currently solid but I can open up ventilation up there as well if needed.
No, No, No and thrice no you do not need to 'ventilate' at all - the bees will do all that without us interfering. The crown board should be closed and hole free at all times (unless you have a feeder on

Thanks. I thought so but just wanted to check to make sure I’m doing the right thing. The hive itself has plenty of options to ventilate the boxes and the crown board that came has 5 ventilation holes with ventilation covers. Not sure why they are there though. Would a situation ever arise where one would need to ventilate? Otherwise, a wasted design.

Thanks. I thought so but just wanted to check to make sure I’m doing the right thing. The hive itself has plenty of options to ventilate the boxes and the crown board that came has 5 ventilation holes with ventilation covers. Not sure why they are there though. Would a situation ever arise where one would need to ventilate? Otherwise, a wasted design.

The crownboard with the 5 holes set to "ventilation mode" could be used when transporting bees in hot weather I guess?

They are there as an option, and don't do any harm if not used. Most people just leave the poly discs in blocking them off the whole time, and quite rightly so.

the crown board that came has 5 ventilation holes with ventilation covers. Not sure why they are there though.
Doubt anyone else does either - the only time they would be of any use is if you used them as a travel screen

Those holes have been present in the crown board since I bought my incorrectly-designed (top and bottom bee space at the same time, discussed elsewhere) poly hives from Abelo ten years ago. I found that the bees stuffed the vent mesh with propolis to close it all up and then built brace comb in the hollow underneath.

Now I've relegated the boxes to being used as bait hives I've put clear crown boards on and will use the original crown boards only as travel screens, assuming I don't use a different travel screen altogether anyway. The latter may be the easier option given that I now have a whole load of vent inserts filled with wax and propolis that I have to clean up first. Perhaps I can dunk them in some fairly hot water to melt off the wax and then freeze them to allow the propolis to be broken off?

James

"Nay, nay and thrice nay" ? :D

I feel sure it was Frankie Howerd, but I have no idea why I associate it with him nor where it comes from.

"Twitter ye not".

James
“Up Pompeii” I think.

Latest posts

Back