Week 3 - Inspect?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustAddBees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
Hi all,

This weekend will be the third full week since I hived a small caste in my top bar hive. I last checked inside after the first full week (2 weeks ago) and corrected a crossed comb and noted three large combs already drawn.

Being a top bar hive I'm keen to keep a check on any crossed comb but don't want to disrupt a virgin queen and her efforts to get mated. Should I inspect this weekend if the weather is good?

I should add that the comb I repaired has fallen (viewed through viewing window) so I need to do a better job of that and I probably need to remove the empty feeder (I can do this without opening hive but will need to get suited just to be safe)

Looking forward to all your opinions and advice.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

if you have to do it, do it late in the day after mating flights are usually over, but don't spend ages in there - quick peep to see if there are any eggs or brood, do what needs to be done then get out

If the comb that had become detached is empty... just remove it.. they will soon draw more down.
May be worth continuing with feeding + add some pollen... I have had success with liquifying Candipol with water to make up a liquid feed for my own TBH.
Comb is very dandelion yellow!
Quick check for eggs now... leave for 9 days and check again... definitely an evening pursuit!!

Yeghes da

Thanks both.

So if I wait until a warm late evening when less bees are flying then I'm at less risk of disrupting mating? A quick check for eggs/brood, remove feeder, and straighten any crossed comb, then leave for another 9 days or so.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Back