Web site threat

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im liking mozilla.....MS must be pooping themselves cos i dont think many people will go back to IE

A swift plug for free software follows:)
If you've tried and like "Firefox", it's pretty indicative of the very high standard of modern "open source" software. Rather than being built by a small coterie of people and then sold, open source software is designed by literally thousands of people worldwide - it's by, for, and of the people. If you want to try other programmes from the same "stable", there's "Open Office" which will give "Word" and "Office" more than a run for their money http://www.openoffice.org/ - then there's "The Gimp" - sad name, but is an excellent substitute for Photoshop........ these you can download and try in Windoze, then if you choose to upgrade to a free operating system you're already used to the "alternative" versions.:)
Why bother? - well, for a start, they're all free - these are programmes and operating systems built for "the love of it", largely by people working for free. It means that third-world countries are able to run their computers on free software, rather than being beholden to the major software companies.
Then there's security....... Windoze is inherently a pretty ghastly "kludge", layer upon layer of not-very-good coding that has evolved over many years - there are innumerable inherent weaknesses which hackers will exploit. Linux on the other hand is extremely well coded, and is "lean, mean and fast" (most of the internet runs on it), and inherently very safe - it means that older computers can run fast using it, having nearly ground to a halt using Windoze.
The main problem with Linux is that traditionally it's been for geeks only - things like "Wubi" and "Ubuntu" are now proving that Linux can be every bit as "user friendly" as Windoze - several of the smaller "notebook" computers are coming with a form of Linux pre-loaded, and I confidently predict that the dreadful Mr Gates' products will continue to lose market share as more and more people discover that you can get off the "bloatware treadmill" (needing a new computer ever three years to keep up with the bloated software):)

You have sold it to me Brosville.
I am now using FF and Ubuntu, and I like them + running so much better.
But I still have windows on and have the option to boot to this at start-up.

My parents have my old PC and even though it has just the basics, it stalls and passes using XP.

I will now convert ther pc to Ubuntu and FF.

Thanks again so much.

I see the Internet Explorer vunerability has made the National press today.

John

I noticed they say they are rushing out a quick fix for it.

So thats everyone using IE buggered then when the computer crashes due to an update.

i was a firefox user but when I upgraded to vista I gave GOOGLE CHROME a go and I find it marginally better. Anyone else tried it? it's free as is FF.:)
Mike

Trouble with anything Google is they collect information on your surfing habbits so they can show you adverts etc that are connected.

FF does not collect any information unless you approve it first.

Latest posts

Back