Weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiveabee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
looks like more wet weather around my way for the next day or 2. Just hope it dont flood like last week.

BUT the brambles are in flower and we have something of a nectarflow at last !

Yep - my bees haven't stopped the last week - they're even flying in the rain and heavy winds - always an absolute cloud around the hives

Yeah its like the girls are trying to catch up, busy busy busy. What a wonderful mix of pollen colours today from white to black

Yes - loads of nectar as all the flowers are delayed due to the cold..

same here, my stronger hive are going 20 to the dozen - put another super on to give them more space to play in and keep them out of mischief and they've drawn out 3/4 frames in 5 days.

Even my little swarm colony are busier - fab to watch.

Nothing like sitting out on a sunny afternoon watching them go mad!!

Yes - loads of nectar as all the flowers are delayed due to the cold..

My be a daft question but is there a tell tale sign when bees are carrying nectar?
If we do get a warm spell soon, with all this moisture we hopefully will be ok re : honey

My be a daft question but is there a tell tale sign when bees are carrying nectar?
If we do get a warm spell soon, with all this moisture we hopefully will be ok re : honey

I've assumed if they come back and not showing pollen then they're carrying nectar - wishful thinking probably. I guess they can come back empty handed (empty legged? empty honey-cropped?) :willy_nilly:

Look which way they are flying, if a flow is on and you fix your eyes on the flight path it will look like a motorway. Both directions.

Look which way they are flying, if a flow is on and you fix your eyes on the flight path it will look like a motorway. Both directions.
I do that all the time just look a few feet above the hives and It will give you an indication where they are all going, If you can know how to work out a waggle dance you now exactly where they are going

I do that all the time just look a few feet above the hives and It will give you an indication where they are all going, If you can know how to work out a waggle dance you now exactly where they are going

Yeah now that would be good. Pouring down here at moment but forecast says bright intervals.

Interesting: mine are pouring in and out of the hive as well, even in drizzle. A brief stop for the showers, then the motorway gets going again! Hive feels nice and heavy so they're obviously finding something good. It's a real advantage living in the middle of a town and next to both a railway and a canal: lots of different wild and garden flowers. Hemlock water dropwort is a particular favourite today, if my canal towpath walk is anything to go by.

btw, a really heavy nectar load will affect the bees' flight, then you can have bees lurching up to the front of the hive, even crashing against the entrance edges sometimes, like a person running with a load they can't quite carry.

btw, a really heavy nectar load will affect the bees' flight, then you can have bees lurching up to the front of the hive, even crashing against the entrance edges sometimes, like a person running with a load they can't quite carry.

seen some of mine just bounce off the front the last few days, quite funny in a slightly sad way :rofl:

Interesting: mine are pouring in and out of the hive as well, even in drizzle. A brief stop for the showers, then the motorway gets going again! Hive feels nice and heavy so they're obviously finding something good. It's a real advantage living in the middle of a town and next to both a railway and a canal: lots of different wild and garden flowers. Hemlock water dropwort is a particular favourite today, if my canal towpath walk is anything to go by.

At the moment its not drizzle. Dark sky and drops as big as the bees and strong wind:eek: gonna give it a miss to day and hope Sunday is better. Dam and that would have been my excuse to miss the weekly shopping trip Ahh well i I will try and talk spousey in to buying me a few tinnies for later:drool5:

The weather is so erratic up here in scotland, the poor bees are trying their best.
But I'll be very happy if I get one frame of honey this year.

The weather is so erratic up here in scotland, the poor bees are trying their best.
But I'll be very happy if I get one frame of honey this year.

I know what you mean. Then again some will be better than none. I was up your way the other weekend. We had been to Thurso on a fishing trip. On the way home we did a de-tour which took us through Glen Clunie and over Glen Shee on the A93 down to Perth. On the way through we came through glorious sunshine then heavy showers. We stopped for a brew in the glen during one of the sunny spells and went for a short walk and got soaked.

Latest posts

Back