Weather - snow forecast for weekend

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little John

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
50+
Several posts about feeding 1:1 to get brood rearing started - but if bees can't fly, where's the pollen going to come from ? (Unless you've got some saved, of course).

Cold weather forecast for much of March. Persistent easterlies, with snow flurries forecast for this Saturday/ Sunday, extending from eastern counties right into the Midlands.

For more details, see:

So much for global warming then ....

LJ

Yes its still winter, looks grim for Scotland and the east for a while yet, never mind, at least the bees can rest a bit longer.

Hi Little John,
Thanks for being the forums weather man. My thread on 1:1 was not to stimulate brood in that colony as they already have it. Unfortunate, to call it 'spring feed' in this instance as I was really talking about emergency feed. 50% sugar dilution I read they can take down without having to dilute it further!

We had yesterday +3, now it is -6 and at night perhaps -15C. Wind is strong.
Snow cover is 2 feet.
I am just checking that hives have enough capped food when I open inner cover.
If they have not, I add a box of capped honey frames over the cluster. I put into weak hives electrict heating that cluster can move up to new food.

That is special case. I feeded too late hives and things are not in condition in many hives.
If hive has a good cluster and enough food, they may be in peace next month.

It is easy to see, is it winter or spring when you look through the window. What I have followed UK day temps, they are under 10C. And if it is sometimes over, it perhaps means nothing.

Last edited:
Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past

BY CHARLES ONIANS MONDAY 20 MARCH 2000

http://tinyurl.com/yz8urac

" According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event".

"Children just aren't going to know what snow is," he said. "

So from your weather forecast it appears that me starting to build a new conservatory in February / March in The High Peak area of Derbyshire was not necessarily my best ever idea then! Stupid is as stupid does :hairpull:

Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past

BY CHARLES ONIANS MONDAY 20 MARCH 2000

http://tinyurl.com/yz8urac

" According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event".

"Children just aren't going to know what snow is," he said. "

Should have looked out the window of his ivory tower now and then instead of sitting at his desk contemplating his own navel!

Hi Little John,
Thanks for being the forums weather man. My thread on 1:1 was not to stimulate brood in that colony as they already have it. Unfortunate, to call it 'spring feed' in this instance as I was really talking about emergency feed. 50% sugar dilution I read they can take down without having to dilute it further!

Hi Beeno - my reference to 1:1 wasn't meant to be a criticism as such (and certainly not a personal one), rather more a case of 'you may want to apply the brakes on the light syrup for a week or two, guys'...

You see, one problem with feeding light syrup is that you're not only supplying much needed sugar - which I fully understand the need for - but you're also inadvertently sending the bees a message that it's spring and that there's nectar coming in. So it will stimulate further egg-laying, whether it can be supported by existing levels of stored pollen or not.

The first bee in the chain knows that the 'nectar' originates 'in-hive'; from a feeder of some sort - but by the time the syrup has passed to the second or third bee, those bees don't know where it's come from, and so the message gets spread around the hive that 'somebody' has been bringing nectar in, but no-one knows from where - so the scouts get send out to find the source, pronto. Even if it's bl##dy cold outside.
And that's why advice is so often given to feed syrup at night, so that the knee-jerk reaction to 'get out there quick and find out where it's coming from' has diminished by morning.

LJ

Boston!

I remember those East winds straight off the Urals, from a few years spent on sundry Lincs airfields!

Snow :eek: well it makes a change from Rain i suppose

long range for Easter BH looks bad as well, rain and gales not snow though on three out of four longerange forecasts

Boston!

I remember those East winds straight off the Urals, from a few years spent on sundry Lincs airfields!

I was never stationed in Lincolnshire but have visited myriad stations there !
I did a spell on Shackletons at Bally Kelly . On arrival I was kitted out with heavy water proof over clothing, gum boots and sea boot socks. "What's all this I thought?" Soon found out :) ,the wettest part of this planet!
There was a mountain there,we used to call 'Ben Twitch', the saying was "If you can see Ben Twitch it is about to rain, if you can't see Ben Twitch it's already raining! :D
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I spent a winter at Honington (12 Sqn - sodding Buccaneers - leaked like an oil can), and one morning I was working up in the electronics bay of one, with (I swear) horizontal snow whipping around my feet - and I thought "why am I doing this ?" Couldn't leave the mob fast enough after that.

*Nothing* to stop the wind between the dispersal area and The Urals ...

I swore that nothing would ever bring me back to windswept Lincolnshire - but some of us never learn ...

Some good memories though: one of the last squadrons of Shackletons came to stay for a few weeks, and I remember watching a visiting Vulcan showing-off doing circuits and bumps - that was quite a sight - like a bl##dy great bat.

LJ

Just a quicky (no wish to divert the thread)
Whilst in Libya , a squadron of MK3 Shackletons arrived on route for the South African Air Force!
They had tricycle under carriages, caused a bit of a scare on the dispersal area seeing them landing nose down arse up . Had the fire tenders racing round :)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I spent a winter at Honington (12 Sqn - sodding Buccaneers - leaked like an oil can), and one morning I was working up in the electronics bay of one, with (I swear) horizontal snow whipping around my feet - and I thought "why am I doing this ?" Couldn't leave the mob fast enough after that.

*Nothing* to stop the wind between the dispersal area and The Urals ...

My poor bees are on the south east side of (what was) RAF Wattisham and "enjoying" that same wind with me currently. Lightnings were far more fun than Apaches...

...I was mostly at Wildenrath, loads of snow but couldn't hold a candle to East Anglia for biting wind! To be fair, after reading a little about the siege of Stalingrad .... that may have had the edge on the fens!...

The forecast is really looking dire for end of next week, I'm putting the V. inserts back in!

looked at 3 weather forecasts and all giving different predictions :hairpull: but one thing for sure they all say it's getting colder next week

RW yes...... and also dislike the BBC ineffectual policy of plaqying safe by giving a possible temp range e.g. next Thursday night is "-6 to +4c" which is of no use to man or libdem!

Agreed! We have a forecast of between -1 or -10 for the same night. Slight difference! I'm going to take note of what it actually turns out to be and then we'll see.

Latest posts

Back