Weather alert north west!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello

Just listened to BBC weather and sounds like NI and west coast scotland are going to cop it tomorrow with 70 mph winds. Met office have issued "amber alert". Warnings of tree damage.

Might be an idea to strap them down?

Regards

FB

I always thing of my brother-in-laws fence at times like this in Cumbria it has a habit of disappearing.

Already done. I'm having to feed mine as well. Weather has been rotten since the beginning of May.

I'm having to feed mine as well - very low on stores at last check. I would recommend that North-west keepers check their hives for stores if the weather continues to remain so poor. :(

Hopefully we will get some drier warmer weather soon!!!

Hopefully we will get some drier warmer weather soon!!!

one forecaster is forecasting a dry warm June while another is forecasting Floods from mid june

unfortunately the forecaster who predicted the 100 year cold december some 6 months before it happened is the one that is predicting floods in June

i am buying a new pair of wellies while they are cheap as SE has been dry for months

Last edited:
70 mph winds are for wimps..

Seriously. Fairly common in winter here.. and in May it has felt like winter and looked like it and rained like it.

As for weather forecasters forecasting months ahead... ! When they get next week correct, I will believe them.

Gales in Wiltshire today.....didn't stop me though.

Mind you tomorrow they are suggesting the odd 'hurricane force gust' in places....and had torrential rain last night. If it wasn't windy, it would have been a lovely 20 deg + day !!

S

poor spring weather - what strenth feed?

I've had the central heating on for the past few weeks its that cold up here in NW Lancs. Its either too cold/wet/windy for some of the bees to forage so have been feeding them sugar syrup for the past 3 weeks. They take it all!

But if this poor weather continues - what would be the best ratio sugar to water? Should I be adding any extra pollen supplements or anything else?
Thanks

did you do inspections today

I had an AS to do today! Due to the high wind, i didnt bother, none of my bees were out flying, so trying to find the queen would have been a night mare. Then all those flying bees in my face...no thanks!

Tomorrow is not looking much better. Tuesday is looking good and may be my last chance... Love the british weather :sifone:

Its WINTER dam driving rain last nite and no sign of stopping, I see most people here have the trees strapped down.....

I have now fed over a gallon of syrup on each hive bees are very hungry.

Busy Bee

Despite the cold and wet, I have seen evidence of mating lights in the odd warm period when the sun is shining...

The local forecast says 19C Wednesday: I expect to see more. (Four virgins to mate: at least two mated)

No AS today either... Weather forcast says Wedensday. Thats right on the line for my AS. That said they are not going to get up and leave untill the weather gets better anyhow.

well just had a good look in the hive! Winds are 26 miles an hour but its warm. So in i went, found about 12 sealed QC but not the queen.

All were capped.

Should i preform the AS as per the book says without the queen or leave the hive as is and hope they are rearing a new queen due to my mistake of killing or losing her (which i dont know i have done but may have as a neebie)

Dunno about Bedfordshire but swarming here today is a physical impossibility unless they wish to try walking out the hive. You might still have the queen. Try again tomorrow. I might be tempted to split them anyway.

Only one of my hives here in Derbyshire showed any activity today. A newly hived swarm, there is a feeder on but some were still chancing it even in the rain, if they are willing to forage despite the elements I may just have to consider them for future breeding stock.

Capped cells and not swarmed yet, whack a Qx under the brood box to give yourself a breathing space.

Good luck finding your queen.

Latest posts

Back