WBC style honesty box - thoughts?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angry_Mob

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
30+
This year I tried an honesty box and things have been going well as it seems to have increased sales without much additional effort.

Currently, I have a small black box at the entrance however I'd like to change it to something a bit more eye-catching. I have always liked the look of the WBC but I'm not interested in keeping bees in wooden hives so seems it could be a good excuse to get one.

My plan is to buy 3 cedar lifts, a porch and a gabled roof. Paint it white. I'll make a floor and sloped landing board with myself as I don't need a bee entrance. I think I'm going to mount it on a short pole so it's not at ground level.

The part I'm not sure how to approach exactly is how to make it functional as an honesty box. My first thought was to cut a door into the front but with the lifts I'm not sure if that would work exactly; The other idea I've had is to hinge some of the lifts or roof and have a raised floor that people could just grab the jar, deposit the money and go.

Any thoughts on this part?

Expensive honesty box.
Someone made a shell out of pallet wood to go over a National hive that looked quite good.
People are making compost bins that look like wbc hives for a lot less than a set of lifts some already have a hinged lid. Have a look on fleebay for wbc compost bin

You can buy a beehive composter bin for £140, looks like a WBC might be a cheaper option

It is, that's what's putting me off the idea tbh. I reckon it'll be around £150 delivered however it's also doubling up as a garden ornament and an advertising board as well.

I've seen those compost bins and the ones Mark is referring to are about £90 delivered, at that money I think I'd be better getting something close to the real deal and if it's made from cedar it will always outlast the cheaply constructed bins.

I picked up an old WBC on freecycle. I made a third lift, painted it and got some vinyl lettering off the internet. I have a shelf on the front of my house and people put the money through the letterbox.
For security I have a Blink camera which overlooks the shelf.
BE823665-1903-4683-BDC1-3E60E4A562B3.jpeg3E673705-7D38-43D8-9BE1-AA537F39A5D9.jpeg

Don't forget you can also use card readers in an honesty box, the more expensive sum up allow it. A little more secure as no cash about. This was mentioned on a thread I started investigating using card machines in general for sales as no one has cash these days.

This year I tried an honesty box and things have been going well as it seems to have increased sales without much additional effort.

Currently, I have a small black box at the entrance however I'd like to change it to something a bit more eye-catching. I have always liked the look of the WBC but I'm not interested in keeping bees in wooden hives so seems it could be a good excuse to get one.

My plan is to buy 3 cedar lifts, a porch and a gabled roof. Paint it white. I'll make a floor and sloped landing board with myself as I don't need a bee entrance. I think I'm going to mount it on a short pole so it's not at ground level.

The part I'm not sure how to approach exactly is how to make it functional as an honesty box. My first thought was to cut a door into the front but with the lifts I'm not sure if that would work exactly; The other idea I've had is to hinge some of the lifts or roof and have a raised floor that people could just grab the jar, deposit the money and go.

Any thoughts on this part?

Thornes sell an ornamental wbc hive for £125.00 Ornamental Hive

That's excellent, a pity it's out of stock. I will enquire.

A cedar WBC is expensive and over the top when a second hand one could be used. And they are pretty well already white, so just need a tart-up. In any case a good WBC might get nicked!

We use a WBC near the front door and regulars put money through the letter box in the front door or a tub inside the hive lid.
No issues with theft so far after my son stopped helping himself.

We use a WBC near the front door and regulars put money through the letter box in the front door or a tub inside the hive lid.
No issues with theft so far after my son stopped helping himself.
I have a camera trained on my honey but have only ever had problems with theft from some local "lad" who thought they would show off by nicking 4 jars. That was 2 years ago.
Our customers seem amazingly honest - I sell for £5.50/ jar and locals might not have the 50p so often we find just a fiver and a few days later 50p or even a £1 plops through the letterbox often with a little note explaining.
I had one walking couple who took 2 jars and only had a tenner so they searched my number and rang me up later that evening and offered to transfer the money. I said just pop in in next time you are in the area. Sure enough a pound coin and a note dropped on the mat about a month later 😊.
I like the fact people are so honest!

Pictures of my advertising hives fronts made from the timber from old pallets they stand 25" wide and 30" high (each lift is 8" high over lapped by 1/2") work well for me every year, stick on lettering purchased from a man who does lettering etc. on trucks and vans locally (if I remember correctly they cost me £15 a few years ago) but you could get three number plates.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_3210.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3210.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 7
  • thumbnail_IMG_3209.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3209.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 11
  • thumbnail_IMG_3211.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3211.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back