WBC or National?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frisbee,did you notice I never contacted you but spoke with JC regards who was at fault.
Having had 5 daughters and no sons I am not that daft :laughing-smiley-004

When you have made your mind up from a technical perspective, do not forget to factor in what you really want.

There is nothing worse that getting something that is the dogs B******s from a technical perspective if you just do not like the look of it.

On the other side of the coin, don't forget that looks aren't everything, while I like the look of a WBC or a national with a gabled roof, they are no good when it comes to using the roof to stand the supers etc on while you work the brood box.

On the other side of the coin, don't forget that looks aren't everything, while I like the look of a WBC or a national with a gabled roof, they are no good when it comes to using the roof to stand the supers etc on while you work the brood box.

At least with a WBC you can use a lift to stack supers,that leaves the National with a gabled roof looking a little impractical..

I see the dilemma but most gabled roofs only have an angle of 8 degrees or less you would need an angle much higher than that to cause a problem yes the roof dos not lay perfectly flat on the ground but believe me it is not a problem
I tend to think of it this way I look at the hive from a distance 90% of the time and work the hive 10% both aesthetics and practicality are important to me anyway

National fitting in a WBC?

Earlier in this thread Gingernut and Hivemaker mentioned a National hive fitting in a WBC.

I know that National frames fit inside the WBC, but can the National BB and supers fit too?

If so is it reasonably easy to achieve?

The thought of having the aesthetics of an WBC along with the practicality of the National with larger brood box and commonality with my existing Nat kit sounds v tempting.

Anyone run this setup and can comment.

Earlier in this thread Gingernut and Hivemaker mentioned a National hive fitting in a WBC.

I know that National frames fit inside the WBC, but can the National BB and supers fit too?

If so is it reasonably easy to achieve?

The thought of having the aesthetics of an WBC along with the practicality of the National with larger brood box and commonality with my existing Nat kit sounds v tempting.

Anyone run this setup and can comment.

I have a 14x12 national brood box and supers inside a WBC, they fit fine :)

Yours Roy

Buzz,I also run a national inside a WBC,It fits straight onto the floor no problem.

I wanted to clean the inside boxes of the WBC so swapped the frames to a new national brood box and put the lifts and roof back on,they seemed at home so I still have not put the cleaned box's back.

WBC hive, 14 x 12 brood box and small cell foundation (you'll have to make your own), you'll have bees coming out of your ears. Just make sure you push the box to the back of the floor.

Now here is the thing that confuses me.

When I started the thread I asked National or WBC?

People seemed to suggest national with 14x12 Brood.

But a lot of posts seem to say about National in a WBC. So why not just get a WBC in the first place?

Cheers

NIck

Because some people think standard WBC has a brood chamber that's on the small side. It has 10 frames, and 11 for National.

But you could consider an Extra Deep WBC (14x12).

And National boxes are plentiful and cheap with lots of second hand stuff available.

All the frames are the same for both types though.

A new WBC is a very expensive item.

There remains the issue of top or bottom bee space.

Hope this helps a bit :)

Hivemaker, as a matter of interest are you able to say how much you might charge for a top bee space 11 frame 14x12 WBC hive with stand, 3 supers, sufficient lifts, cover board, clearer board, wire Qx, and Ashworth feeder. ??

Maybe we could get half a dozen orders together ??

Last edited:
Now here is the thing that confuses me.

When I started the thread I asked National or WBC?

People seemed to suggest national with 14x12 Brood.

With the reproductive rate of modern bees, if you don't use 14x12 you will end up on a 'brood and a half' which is twice as much work.

But a lot of posts seem to say about National in a WBC. So why not just get a WBC in the first place?

Cheers

NIck

I suggest you only use a WBC (with or without a National inside) if aesthetics are the main point............like me with a WBC as a feature in my garden as well as a working hive.

If the look of it doesn't matter (in a field, surrounded by screens etc) then forget the WBC as it is much more work and go for a National with 14x12.

Yours Roy

Gingernut, Some think the winter warmth of a WBC, due to the double wall created by the lifts, is a beneficial feature.

If you want, warmth, and simplicity, and looks are immaterial, then poly langstroth is the obvious choice.

Fair enough :) but the OP asked WBC or National, so you are disqualified ;)

(only kidding)

JC.

National in a WBC

Thanks Admin and Gingernut for confirming that a Nat hive fits inside the outer parts (lifts, porch, floor etc).

Looking at various hive plans it must be a very tight fit. By my estimations about 7mm clearance all round.

Does this mean that I have to be very careful that the WBC (and Nat) are built exactly to specification? The plans I have seen give the thickness of the WBC lifts at 16mm, but I understand that WBC build tolerances are notoriously variable.

Hivemaker - count me in for a couple of National/WBC combination hives, if as previously suggested, you can be persuaded to tool up for these.

:drool5:

So why would you have a National in a WBC lift when all you could do would be add an alighting board & stand plus gabled roof to a National?

Or am I just being thick?!

Nick

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back