WBC or National?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimbeekeeper,

As you have said you have not seen a beehaus in the flesh

Now then, where and when exactly did I say that? You must know that misquoting, or quoting from a long time ago, can be extremely misleading on a subject such as this - and, furthermore, you are wrong, as usual, because, yes, I have seen an omlette 'in the flesh' as you put it.

To use the word superior is a very arrogant word!

Not sure what you are trying to say here but working on the context of the post I may be able to work out what you were trying to write.

If you were referring to me, please apologise and retract - Admin, please note.
You may have meant to use the word arrogate, but I doubt that.

If you were referring to the word, then you are in need of a dictionary, perchance? The Little Oxford Dictionary gives the following meanings (in this context) for superior: higher in rank or quality etc., (to) (where the 'to' means in comparison with); better or greater in some respect'.

I did qualify my use of the word with 'in many respects' and that 'many' was more than several, not two - as you might have us believe.

not want they want

I believe you are not entirely correct with that, or even the whole sentence.

I think it more appropriate that you should provide a list of how you think the plastic version is superior to the Dartington, if, indeed, you actually do.

I am well aware that no one is trying to convince me to buy one. I am well able look at all relevant information and try to come to a rational (usually) decision re what I buy, whether it might be a motor car, a beehive, or even a TV (of which I/we made the rational decision to 'skip' the old one, and not replace it, some years ago).

RoofTops,

Yaxley might come to mind?

On reflection I may have been a little sharp with my question, but, if genuine, 'they' need only to have read their post and realised it may have looked like a commercial intervention in an entirely 'out of context' thread and come back with an explanation. My apologies to the poster - if genuine.

I refer you to the original post where it says:

I have narrowed my selection of hive (which I will have 2 for my garden) to:

1) WBC
2) National

I know we often get off track, and we probably are here, but after ten pages of this thread, our newbie to the forum changes from 'I' (in posts one and two) to 'we recommend' (something entirely different) in post 3 for this thread. I remain mystified.

I freely admit I am not the most diplomatic person in the world, ask direct questions (and accept truthful replies) but I do try to give factual, helpful and honest responses to scenarios which are often of a distinctly hazy nature.

If you confirm the first line is correct I will contact by phone.

Regards, RAB

That's a mighty high horse you're sitting on there O90

horse-sabre-03.gif

Frisbee

RAB

Yes I was quoting you that you have not seen a beehaus in the flesh which you have stated was true, but only now inform us that you haveseen one! I stant corrected.

I have a life and hence will not waste my timemaking a list of the +/- of the beehaus or any other hive, they would realy only be +/- to the keeper and not the bees, how do we know the bees like them?

I do not class the beehaus superior to any other hive, itis you that states other are.

And as for you futher insulting remark to my spelling, yes I do you spell check (some of the time) but when you are dyslexic the spell check might sugest a word to you, and not knowing it being wrong I simpley picked that version to be in my mind the correct word.

Dyslexia is a battle I can not win, despite battleing to achive a Degree in Chemistry, Masters In Chemical Engineering and Charterships in both, but forums I can.

You pompus remarks are wearing thin to many now. And Like before I use the word many to mean many i.e LOTS

In a civilised way I take this discussion off the forum and to PM if RAB wishes to further discuss my spelling or gramar, and also to my ignore list. Along with a few other who are on my ignore list.

Last edited:
So you're a Chemist? Expect another blast soon from RAB when he's finished with all the things beginning with the letter B (beekeepers, Beehaus etc.) and starts on the letter C.

and dyslexia begins with the next letter....

Back to the original question.
I've got some WBC's, request from her indoors. One has a 14x12 brood box in it. I also have Nationals which don't look so nice in the front garden. The nats are new this year so I haven't overwintered in them so can't comment on their effectiveness but I expect that there won't be much difference. I am toying with going 14x12 totally or maybe commercial or Lang/MD. the only problem with this is that most others use the BS frame size and I don't want to go Betamax when most everyone else is VHS!

This is the classic dilemma.

WBC is pretty and her indoors seem to prefer it. However as a practical hive it has it's limitations.

Nationals are that one frame bigger which in practical terms is no huge improvement.

Glens though have the look of the WBC but take 15 frames x BS. Just a thought.

If however you are considering being migratory then to be honest the poly Langstroth for price and movability is rather hard to beat.

PH

PH do you thnk they will ever bring out jumbo brood poly?

Thanks MJbee

Its not quite what I thought!

I had been looking for a WBC hive shape, but made as poly as a single skin unit.

Does not exist Jim.

Glens were invented at Craibstone by Dr Anderson and were pretty much made up as DIY jobs. As for being extinct, well thats odd as I had four once upon another life time. Just read the rest of Dave's site and Murray is both right and a bit wrong. Folks adapted the Glen to suit themselves, and for what it's worth I knew a chap up Deeside who had at one time 100 Glens in his back field and supplied Fortnums with Deeside Heather Honey. Lived at Dinet.

WBC in poly? Not that I know of.

Jumbo poly yes I think Swinty do one.

PH

Last edited:
Is an Anderson hive the same as a Glen?
I know they are both Scottish hives.

EDIT:Just found this on Daves site:

similar type of hive known as the Dr. Anderson hive (that was commonly used in old style Scottish beekeeping), and these were described as "seriously huge",

Hi

"So posibley a market for a WBC shaped hive, of larger brooad area, molded as single skin poly?"

Only if you have the 20 grand for the mould:svengo:

Regards Ian

The Anderson and Glen as I was told at Craibstone are one and the same or vRIriona off. As I posted already this hive was meant to be a DIY as as far as I know no hive maker produced it. The down side a la WBC was/is that very few Glen lifts were interchangeable.

Dr Anderson "invented" the Glen hive and I have a slide some where of one with about 8 or ten supers on it.

Dr Anderson was a North of Scotland college of Agriculture Bee Advisor in the heady days when the Scottish colleges took bees seriously and ran a staff of five or so in each department. Three colleges so a staff of 15 or so.

Craibstone Beekeeping Unit taught the Aberdeen Domestic School of Science girls beekeeping as it was considered an essential part of their knowledge. I have an old pic, roughly 1950's which is on display in our breakfast room here of a class in the apiary.

As for the WBC in poly wwell you are looking at £60k not 20 as there are three moulds involved. Floor, roof and lifts.

PH

Last edited:
PH,Have a read of page 166,honey farming by Manley,he gives Dr Anderson a right kicking..

Yes he does. I had forgotten that bit and now I am wondering if my memory is right that he was part of the Craibstone situation. However I have no way of checking as there is no list of staff that I know of.

On a slightly different tack if you come across this book:

Beekeeping by Cumming and Logan the first picture is a WBC alongside three Glens. Said book also contains an illustration of two "Beehouses on wheels" which may interest some. Peggy Logan was a formidable beekeeper and migrated her Glens to the heather. She was also an Assistant Advisor at NOSCA.

I could scan it if anyone is interested enough? Actuall I have found there are three pics well worth scanning and will do and post in another thread.

PH

Last edited:
Thanks PH,moving Glens around sounds like a lot of Porridge needed for breakfast..

Not sure if its still there but Thornes Stockbridge used to have a glen hive outside the shop.

Latest posts

Back