Wax

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterbean

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have a lot of wax that i have collected over the last two years, most of it from my wax melter and i am unsure what to do with it, are there any comprehensive books i can buy on the subject please.

Most big suppliers offer a trade in service where you trade it in for new foundation.

I have a lot of wax that i have collected over the last two years, most of it from my wax melter and i am unsure what to do with it, are there any comprehensive books i can buy on the subject please.

Make some candles - either use them and save electricity or sell them and make some money. You will get a lot more for your wax than trading it in ...

http://makingyourown.ludlowsurvivors.com/bwcandles.html

or if you use foundation then start thinking about making your own - you will need a former for the cell size but you will save a fortune once you have one and at least you know where the wax in your foundation has been.

http://www.beesource.com/point-of-view/ed-dee-lusby/making-foundation-by-hand-2/

Most big suppliers offer a trade in service where you trade it in for new foundation.

We give the wax to foundation maker. I get foundations 3,50 euros/kg. Normal price is 12 euros/kg.

To burn valuable wax 10 euros/kg and the candles are even not proper

wax

thanks for everyone's advice, i am still confused as to what state it should be in to exchange it....do they take it dirty or as i have requested are there any suitable books on the subject?

If you can make it to the Harper Adams convention next spring or any other honey shows there will be traders who will swap it for foundation if you wish. Otherewise m ke candles and the like but it's messy, time consuming and moulds cost a fortune.

Wax Dross

I get wax from my solar melter. Small amounts of dross on the surface of a block, I scrape off.

With larger amounts or discoloured wax, I wrap the block in a single layer of paper kitchen towel and put it back through the melter.

Most of the equipment suppliers offer a trade in service, you don't need to wait for one of the big shows to exchange it. It should be reasonably clean. If you think yours might be a bit too dirty then put it in an old pan and bring it up to the temperature required to melt it, around 64C. Might take a bit of time to melt if its already in a block but don't try to speed up the process by increasing the heat to much, as a higher temperature may cause it to discolour. Then pour into a container partially filled with some water (30-50mm is fine). The liquid wax floats to the top and any dross will be on the bottom of the wax ingot and you can scrape this off.

Latest posts

Back