Wax moths

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have noticed lesser wax moths on the outside of a couple of hives this week. Also a couple inside the roofs, unable to get into the hive past the eke filled with Celotex.
It seems there's several about around here this year. Perhaps the hot weather has benefited them?

For once I have exactly the opposite here ... not seen a single wax moth of either sort - no signs of any damage in any stored frames ... unlike last year when I fought a running battle with the pest all season. I will keep my eyes open though .. once they get in they don't half do some damage. Strong colonies will keep them out but watch for signs in Nucs and any stored kit.

On a related note, has anyone seen any sign of the replacement for Certan B401 yet?

Or will we all be playing with burning Sulphur and Acetic Acid come autumn?

I had visible wax moth damage in some stored brood frames tail end of last year. I cleaned up the tracks and sprayed the frames and there was no further damage. The supers are all clean.
I used one tea spoon per litre.

I used Dipel for first time last year. Teaspoon per litre. No damage in the spring. However have read somewhere that Dipel does not work against wax moth. Will use again this winter and see.

I used Dipel for first time last year. Teaspoon per litre. No damage in the spring. However have read somewhere that Dipel does not work against wax moth. Will use again this winter and see.

Was that the thread started by the 'expert at everything'?

Back