Wax moth

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeaBees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
Have noticed on a couple of occasions now, wax moth larvae beneath the OMF of a hive. Latest in image attached. Does evidence of larvae outside of the hive indicate a problem inside? Are the bees turfing them out or simply feeding/breeding on the cappings on ground beneath OMF ?
Thoughts and suggested actions welcome.
Cheers,IMG_2220.jpeg

The latter is the most likely.
If you keep your inspection trays in all the time you have to clean them regularly and often.
Most people don’t leave them in.

Thanks Dani - inspection tray is out. This is on the ground beneath the hive.

Found a larvae on the landing board of a hive yesterday, clearly just turfed out, probably as the bees expand to comb that has been unused over winter. Will inspect when it is warmer to see what is going on.

Last edited:
I do hope they are feeding off the dropped cappings, on removing an inspection board recently for cleaning I discovered a neat row of cocoons/larvae on the underside of the wooden grip I added to a piece of corex board. As Boston Bees when it warmer I shall inspect to see what's going on.

This comb was from a cut out, note the WM larvae to the right side. It was removed before framing.

Attachments

• 4A7E88EB-AF65-45F4-866E-B0C60C4C6F84.jpeg
    4A7E88EB-AF65-45F4-866E-B0C60C4C6F84.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 39

Latest posts

Back