Could not find the queen, but queen cells in the hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john1

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
I could not find the queen bee for nearly 4 weeks.
I put a Queen Excluder in the hive 4 weeks before and I saw the queen in the brood when I put the Queen Excluder.
After that I opened the brood twice in the last 4 weeks and I could not find the queen.

I can see Queen Cells in the brood which are not capped and they are in larva.
I also noticed uncapped other larva in the brood - please see the attached image.

I could not find the queen. But, I don't know whether the queen is somewhere in the hive.
Should I allow the new queen to be born in the hive or should I destroy the queen cell?
Thanks

Attachments

• beeeggcells.jpg
    beeeggcells.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
But, I don't feel like the number of bees have come down.
So, should I leave one of the queen cells in the hive?
Thanks

Can you tell the difference between thirty thousand bees and fifty thousand bees? Yes. Leave one queen cell and leave them to it

I am not sure how much has emerged. I need to check again. I will leave one queen cell and see what they are going to do.
I am just trying to illustrate that the hive will look as busy to you as it was the last time you looked in. Two week inspections are not enough. You need to check weekly.
What will they do? Hopefully raise a new queen.

Thank you all, I am raising a new queen in the hive.

I did not use Queen Excluder in this hive for over a year and the queen missed after I introduced the queen excluder. I saw the queen when I put the excluder.

Thanks

Back