Wax moth 'worms' eat polythene

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
BBC Radio 4 6 pm News today: report that scientists have discovered that wax moth larvae are able to break down polythene.
A solution to the plastics crisis?
A commercial opportunity for beekeepers - forget the honey, just breed wax moths.......?
[Sorry I can't find a link to the BBC website] đź’°

bu99er

having just put polythene between all my stacked supers to prevent encroachment :)

actually i have seen this happen i think but not with thick builders plastic sheeting

First discovered in 2014, so old news, but with the research they have identified 2 enzymes that break down plastic. I wonder if wax moth larvae are edible and we end up eating the plastic.
have people seen that video of the American guy eating drone brood....looks pretty unpleasant to me

Well you could try grilled or barbecued honeycomb with larvae "in Laos and Cambodia, where bee larvae honeycomb is popular. Bee larvae has a lot of flavour apparently, Described by a chef as tasting like “fatty honey,” the larvae survive on beebread, which is the slightly fermented pollen stores of the hive which contributes to the subtly sweet flavour. "

A chinese beek of HK decent who is a member of the LBKA I use to belong to did the outback thing of eating drone brood one day at a meeting, he did invite others to try but know one joined in.

Back