Wax moth in frames- still ok to use?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gower

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
After extraction last year i placed the dry frames into storage in the shed. When checking them recently i noticed a few frames had what looked like tunnelling through the drawn foundation leaving track marks accross them. I havent spotted any moths or larvae, but assume the markings are due to wax moth. My question is whether these frames can still be returned into supers this spring, for the bees to clean up any loose wax and damaged cells?

If you do that you risk putting moth into your hive. the bees in my experience wont use the damaged comb pieces. even if you cant see moth would hazzard a guess that if you took the frame apart it would be in the joints of the top part of of the frame that holds the wires in.

personally i wouldnt use the girls should draw comb out quickly just for the sake of a few pence of foundation.

Chuck any suspect frames in the freezer for 48 hrs. All wax moth killed - safe to use

Maybe freeze the fames to kill any wax moth or larva that might be living in them before returning to any hive.

good idea, thank you. i'm not concerned about the cost of new foundation, but the frames were new last year and have been very well drawn out so would be a shame to discard them and give additional work to bees in drawing out new. I'll pop them in the freezer and give it a go.

cheers.

Dont need to discard any frames unless foul brood. If you have grotty old wax, cut it out and strip frame down to pre wax addition. Easy to clean.
I tend to boil all empty frames anyway to ensure clean - but your choice there.

Latest posts

Back