Wax extractor using hot air gun?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffDale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
On this drizzly day, I have decided to melt down all my old frames. The plan is to make a wax extractor.

I have found several ways to use a wall paper steam machine to heat the container.

Wifey suggested using a heat gun as a source of heat. I have tried a search on the subject but not found much.

Has anyone made an extractor using heat gun? Im wondering whether its too hot or a fire risk!

Should I go for steam or heat gun?

Comments appreciated!

Cliff

Problem with a heat gun is likely to be that the heat is fierce and localised. That's what you want for paint stripping. Could be useful for clearing filters on a solar etc but hard to control if you're not holding it.

I was thinking along the lines that if you're using dry heat a fan oven on lowest setting would be a lot more controllable.

With some ducting to transfer the heat into a box it will probably work. I'd do it outside, though, and have a fire extinguisher at the ready!

I'm new to beekeeping but very long in tools (30+ years) a heat gun will produce fierce heat (even on low with normally two settings) also they have no strong fan so do not distribute heat well either, they are designed for more direct, close-up heat.

Lastly, I doubt it would take long if you could get the heat transferred but they are not good when left on for long periods, without the action of a strong fan, unlike a hairdryer, the element glows and burns fairly quickly if prolonged in use.

No comment on suitability but just some of the hot air gun characteristics.

them hot air guns are deadly bits of kit,i use them all the time to dry paint and what not at work and iv'e had more close calls than enough with them. have 999 on speed dial:)
Darren

Buy it from a model shop.... They usually have two heats, use the hottest. They are for shrinking skins onto model aeroplanes. The heat output is perfect for popping cappings.
Wouldn't be without mine. Used it once as an experiment and have not used a heat knife since. No mess. Perfect
E

Put the wax into boiling water.

Hot air gun is the last what you should use.

Put the wax into boiling water.

Hot air gun is the last what you should use.

If I bought a Burco type water boiler, Could I drop the frames straight into the boiling water? How do you separate the wax from the floating crud?

Its a thought if the steam method does not work. Half built at the moment!
Cliff

Or:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zogqbqQnyE&list=FLaz37Sm2BGAGgYfdGzwnlpQ&index=7&feature=plpp_video[/ame]

If you want to do it old school :)

Its a thought if the steam method does not work. Half built at the moment!
Cliff

steam is usual system. It is difficult in summer when bees are flying everywhere.
Winter is proper time melt frames.

Douple kettle system where folks make home berry juice, is practical to handle small amount of frames.

Latest posts

Back