Wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterbean

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi everyone,help required...i have had trouble with wasps reducing my entrance to the hive as small as i can,but to still no avail,the colony is very small and only now on 3/4 frames,the wasps seem to enter at will,i have set numerous wasp traps but still no joy. Can i save this colony?...advice greatly appreciated

move them or unite them.the wasps are only doing what winter would do.

Get hold of some hard circular electrical conduit pipe (about 15mm diameter I think) and cut a piece about 4cm long. Gaffa tape it to the entrance so it is the only route in. Wasps dont like tunnels and the bees can defend it more easily with lower numbers.

I agree with the previous poster, be prepared to nurse maid them with a constant fondant supply over winter and dummy down with insultaion if they are in a std BB or consider taking them back to a nuc for winter.

Assuming they are your only colony (you dont state), dont give up on them just yet, you are their best chance of survival anyway. R

you have a wasp nest ner buy stairt looking and kill nest we had 2 next door that help lost i sitll have some arond hives but not as bad good luck finding tham

Close them up, feed weakish syrup to give them water and food. They will be fine for a few days like this.

If they are basically OK, after three days of respite, they wasps will be bored and the bees re-invigorated.

Tube entrance (or grass stuffed in) makes the bees traverse an obstacle course and ensures there is a small queue at the entrance - enough to clobber the interested wasps.

Latest posts

Back