Wasps, wasps and then a few more

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wasps & hornets

RE. Wasps - don't forget that the more you can get rid of now, the fewer queens will hatch towards the end of the month. Look like there will be a lot of queens about judging by the numbers of jaspers.

RE. Nucs being attacked - simple really, fewer older bees/guard bees so they die in the first wave of jasper attacks. Best bet is to really close the entrance down to the size of a 1p piece . If it is queenless they just seem to give up.

RE. Hornets - I heard they were an endangered species so, in a way, it is nice to see a few more of them about, although they can and do take whole live bees, they also help clear up dead ones too.

RE. Wasps etc - I wonder if they suffer from similar diseases, eg, Varroa, foul brood ??

RE. Hornets - I heard they were an endangered species so, in a way, it is nice to see a few more of them about, although they can and do take whole live bees, they also help clear up dead ones too.
QUOTE]

tried to take a photo of our local hornets until three of them chased me up the stable yard.
catching plenty in the wasp traps though... I have seen them take my bees :(

nasty fellas... orange head and thorax with a yellow and black striped butt.

They are indeed an endangered species (especially when noshing my bees) in fact they are protected in Germany:(
Mike

Latest posts

Back