Wasps - time to go!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I don't like doing it as they do a fair bit of good at this time of year, but this evening I have dispatched 4 wasp nets in my house.

I'm afraid it looks like a phenomenal year for them, i assume for the same reason its been a good year for bees (if not honey). We grow trees and for the first time since 1996 (another very dry spring at least in the South) we are coming across large numbers of nests in the ground and in the trees - not nice if you disturb one, particularly as most of the ones that live 'rough' tend to be larger, darker and more aggressive!

You normally dont get to see the nests, but the largest one i ever destroyed was just a bit bigger than a 2 draw filing cabinet, but i believe last August a 6ft by 5ft one was discovered in a pub roof in Southhampton! Claimed to be the largest one ever discovered in the world - amazing as it was only August so likely to grow a fair bit if left before winter set in. Although i would point out that it looked rather narrow - but all the same enormous

I spent a summer in 1990 whilst at university as a freelance wasp exterminator, i always found Nippon ant powder very efective - you need to be careful as other ant powders just kill crawling insects not flying ones.

Two questions: largest wasp nests ever seen and what do you use to destroy them?

The southampton one was a load of crap. Publicity stunt by the pest controller.

Apparently he rekoned there was half a million wasps in it, LMFAO

How many wasps can you see on the outside of the nest???
Looks pretty clean to me.

Its an old nest from a previous year, and not that large when you compare it to the bricks behind it.

Ive done sofa size nests and they are BIG.

Just a publicity stunt to boost business.

Latest posts

Back