Wasps just wiped two nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
Any ideas on how to stop wasps, they have wiped out two nucs in two days in a row:eek: have wasp traps and getting 100's in them every day also caught 5 european hornts:eek: tried glass angled across front of hive.

Thanks.

Reduce the entrance down to one bee space.
If that doesn't work and the bees there are bees worth saving then move them to a new site.
Alec

Hi all,
Any ideas on how to stop wasps, they have wiped out two nucs in two days in a row:eek: have wasp traps and getting 100's in them every day also caught 5 european hornts:eek: tried glass angled across front of hive.

Thanks.

Hi Cedar,
So sorry to hear this. I have a row of 7 eight mm holes on my nuc and when they were under attack from robbers they stuck themselves in the holes like corks with their butts outwards. It was very effective and I thought very clever. Also, I had a new 6 frame swarm with a virgin which was under attack. Now she is laying no more robbers! Wasps occasionally try to get in, but they give up pretty quickly. I think they feel a bit exposed! Had a few European hornets last year as well, but they are just too large to get through the holes. Hope you can fix the problem quickly!

I haven't seen any wasps yet and nor have I reduced the size of my hive entrances. Wondered if all the rain had done them in. Now I know where they are...............

checked on my hives after work tonight wasps everywhere so i will have to have a half day off on friday so i can reduce the entrances in the light

Hi, thanks for your replies,the other hives have small entranes and are strong I only had 10mm holes on the nucs lesson learned.

Back