Wasps in the Honey!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedeaddiplomat

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
sadly, no more!
I bit of advice, please (preferably of the non-abusive variety).

The two last supers of honey (no time to extract immediately) were, I thought, safely secure from wasps and other predators. The wasps have, however, found their way in. They have taken some of the honey, but there remain a number of frames that have been largely untouched, still with some capped honey in them.

I work on the assumption that what is still capped ought to be perfectly OK and useable. And I will naturally be pressing the current Lady DD into service as my food taster, so there ought to be no risk to me. But it would be most inconvenient to have to replace her at this stage, should my assumption be wrong. Is she safe?

I bit of advice, please (preferably of the non-abusive variety).

The two last supers of honey (no time to extract immediately) were, I thought, safely secure from wasps and other predators. The wasps have, however, found their way in. They have taken some of the honey, but there remain a number of frames that have been largely untouched, still with some capped honey in them.

I work on the assumption that what is still capped ought to be perfectly OK and useable. And I will naturally be pressing the current Lady DD into service as my food taster, so there ought to be no risk to me. But it would be most inconvenient to have to replace her at this stage, should my assumption be wrong. Is she safe?

Coincidentally I just read an article about a guy who collects road kill to cook and tests the raw meat on his cat. I suppose it's a judgement call as to which you would miss the most - wife or cat.:sorry:

The current Lady DD is certainly of more use in the apiary.

But then, she is not so good at catching rats ...

Not an easy choice, really. Hence my original enquiry.

Latest posts

Back