Wasps eating through side of poly nuc pics

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanski

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I recently purchased a poly nuc. A week after feeding with sugar syrup I noticed that wasps were eating their way through the side of the poly nuc where the food reservoir is....anyone know if painting the nuc will help?

see attached pics

you're not the only person to have this problem this year. perhaps it is a duff batch of poly.

but really should paint inside of feeder with gloss before use; and outside with masonry paint for UV protection.

Had the same report from one of our association members - wasps eating in through the sides of Kieler nucs purchased two years ago - maybe they're just particularly peckish this year!

Thanks. For the gloss paint in the feeder....what type of paint to avoid damaging the poly?

I have stopped using the internal feeder for this reason and blocked it off.

Instead I have added an extra poly eke (the one for converting to 14x12 from national standard), made a crown board from 5mm ply, cut a 5cm hole and added a small rapid feeder.

Works a treat and I can still use all six frames (lost one frame when using a frame feeder), I can also fill the rapid feeder easily without a suit on. Once the feeding season is over I will dropout the 5mm ply crown board and replace it with the normal clear sheet, then fill the spare eke with foam to give an extra 6-8cm insulation on top of the hive.

Never liked the internal feeder as I could not wash out the black mould and muck....

Cheers, Andy

Instead I have added an extra poly eke (the one for converting to 14x12 from national standard), made a crown board from 5mm ply, cut a 5cm hole and added a small rapid feeder.

Works a treat and I can still use all six frames (lost one frame when using a frame feeder), I can also fill the rapid feeder easily without a suit on. Once the feeding season is over I will dropout the 5mm ply crown board and replace it with the normal clear sheet, then fill the spare eke with foam to give an extra 6-8cm insulation on top of the hive.
Cheers, Andy

I have done the same but instead of a crown board, just cut a hole in the clear sheet. This also works.
Cazza

I recently purchased a poly nuc. A week after feeding with sugar syrup I noticed that wasps were eating their way through the side of the poly nuc where the food reservoir is....anyone know if painting the nuc will help?

see attached pics

I have a poly nuc, and don't have wasps eating through it. I never painted it either, didn't think I had to. I had terrible problems a few weeks ago with wasps trying to get into the nuc through the entrance alright. There were no instructions with my poly nuc to paint it ,or to gloss the inside of the feeder. I think you must have got a faulty one, that must be seeping the syrup through the side wall. Secure a square piece of ply against that wall until your bees have the syrup gone. I suggest you contact who you bought it from & make a complaint. If you want to continue to use the nuc, I would then totally block that side feeder off to the bees. Purchase an eke & get a small nuc rapid feeder as suggested . Now that them wasps got the taste, they will now try the entrance, so one bee space & high efficiency wasp trap I would say. Regards.. Sharon

they don't come with instructions BUT their advice below is basically similar to all other suppliers:

http://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/efiles/natcare.pdf

i do however have a hunch - seemingly confirmed having had a chance to get a look at one of mine in the car it would appear to me that the individuals beads that make up the poly seem less well aggregated together - look more like the beads in lower density poly with bigger gaps around them AND more surface texture rather than the essentially flat surface presented by proper spec items. presumably a batch made at lower pressure.

here we go - subtle but different:

Last edited:
It might be time to publish accurate masses for these hive components. There won't be more than one mould unless there is a number on each part, I would think. Comparison of weights made on accurate scales should highlight any problems althouh for the larger parts (the actual brood box) there could be localised areas which are not the correct density.

Post office weighing scales would be a good standard? Regularly checked and close in my experience - always consistent to the odd gram (yes, I have looked for the one which gave the lower postal rate in the past!). Sevearal competent operators who could accurately compare volumes might also be a help for those that get caught by substandard products. Need doing before painting, of couse.

These sort of checks should be part of a quality control system, but it may appear that some sub-standard mouldings are entering the market. Not a good situation, which should be traced back to the origin in the manufacture. Fairly simple and basic quality control being comromised here?

Post office weighing scales would be a good standard? Regularly checked and close in my experience - always consistent to the odd gram (yes, I have looked for the one which gave the lower postal rate in the past!).

:rofl::smilielol5::icon_204-2:

Hi Guys,
I have been studying my poly hive and I now suspect that the reason why some paint it is that the individual 'poly balls' develop a gap between them... through weather erroson! What's the verdict amongs our scientists?

see attached pics

Hi Seanski, Looking at your picture I now realise I did not have a wasp problem.

I have long recommended blocking off the ruddy feeder.

Rapid feeder tip: make the hole in the cover board only as large as the hole you see when looking down through the throat. This prevents the bees getting access to the dead end that you (and the bees) see when looking from underneath!
And then use a marker pen to draw round the feeder, because you now need to line up the holes accurately.
Worth doing.

We have had the same problem but in 10 out of 30 boxes. There is a whole topic on them here - http://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=25956.

We had 10 of the boxes replaced and have since sealed the replacement boxes feeders. Although after this years bulk feeding we intend to block off the feeders and only use 5 frames and a frame feeder that we know won't cause a problem.

Speak to them about your problem, they were more than willing to help in our situation.

Thank you all.

The poly particles that have been used to make this poly seem to be much larger than my previous purchase. Perhaps this is the issue..as I think mentioned above.

I contacted payn*s about this but was told that I could fix the problem with a lick of paint. Oh well...

I have done the same but instead of a crown board, just cut a hole in the clear sheet. This also works.
Cazza
Have also done this as well as cutting out the feeder altogether and putting in 2 more frames. If they are running out of room pop on 2 eeks with 8 super frames in also. Works really well! I ran out of main brood boxes;-). One will be overwintering with the 8 frame super on. Make sure you Vaseline the joints well if you do this mind as it will be a bugger to get apart.
You must paint them too in masonry paint as all have said as the mould eats away at the poly. My painted ones still look like new. My un painted 2 (experiment to see) look awful! They will still last years but they are turning dusty in dry weather and mouldy in damp combined with UV damage.

Latest posts

Back