Waspinator

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nottingham

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
WASPINATOR is a product that stops wasps in there tracks but doesn't kill a single wasp! http://goo.gl/H0V9F

This might just stop the upset and name calling! Within Thread: http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9837

It seems some what alarming to me that some members just have to be right all the time, that it seems big of them to start name calling if anyone dares to disagree with what they are saying.

Wasps may be a valuable part of our ecosystem but it seem that some members are getting so sentimental about them, that I am half expecting them to become wasp-keepers. In the vane hope that by increasing their numbers farmers may stop using pesticides, because there are plenty of wasps to do the job of killing all the bugs lol.

If the natural ecosystem was fully intact, more than half of the animals and bugs in our country would not be here at all (including Varroa). The way the world has been working over the last 1000 years means that we no longer have a natural or native ecosystem. World trade and world travel means we now have bugs that did not start there life in our home land. France now has a new honeybee pest, the asian hornet. I would love to know what if anything is being done to prevent it coming to the UK.

I would love to know what if anything is being done to prevent it coming to the UK.

I don't really see how you can stop them, (Asian Hornets), reaching the UK sooner or later BUT it may be in your interest to look after wasps because here in France there is some hope that the Honey Buzzard, (which isn't actually a Buzzard), will adapt to attack the Asian Hornet nests. A Honey Buzzard couple will destroy between 100 and 150 wasp nests a season to feed their young.

Chris

I would love to know what if anything is being done to prevent it coming to the UK.

nothing! they've already been seen here

Thank you Tony,shows how out of touch the NBU lot are.

it wasn't confirmed, you need a sample for that. My mate just wanted it out of the cab of his van.
( it was reported to bee inspector )

You guys get so het up over poxy wasps LOL

Lets have some perspective on the matter!
Wasp in spring, early summer will not be a problem for bees as they are too busy catching insect food to feed thier young, which in turn produce a sugary liquid which they feed back to the adults.

The problems start when the new queen wasps are produced in the nest, this happens around end of july through till september, but varies from year to year.
Once a nest has produced new queens and drones, the original queen will stop laying, so its a bit like a bee colony where the queen has stopped laying. They colony is on countdown.
No young wasps in the nest to feed the adults means that adults go looking for food sources elsewhere and become a problem. They will however still go back to the nest at night/day so it may look like they are taking back honey or whatever, but they are not.

This is the time to set wasp traps, but the dome type traps dont kill many wasps, just feed them.

The waspinator does not work. Its supposed to prevent queens from building a nest in the same area right? Why do i treat nests that are next to old ones, sometimes dozens of old ones and sometimes two live nests next to eachother. Its a gimick and does not work.

My waspinator did not work

I bought 2 Waspinators last year and the little blighters just sat on top of it laughing at me!
Best traps for me were the inverted funnel bottles sat ontop of the hives, they really had 100s of wasps trapped!
I had about 8 of them ontop of the hives, caught about 1 bee and so many wasps.
xxx
Clare

Back