Warre questions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ckohl

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
I have had Warre hives in place for the past 3 years. I was concerned about the bees propolizing the cloth of the quilt box so I made a screen to keep them away from the cloth. Now they propolize the screen (as I expected they would), does the presence of propolis on the screen (or the cloth for that matter) reduce the overall effectiveness of the quilt box. In other words, if the screen is propolized between the slats, can the warm air actually make it to the quilt box? I'm thinking that I should either rotate the screens 90 degrees or replace them altogether in the fall.

Thoughts? Thank you

Chris kohl

Thoughts? Thank you

Ever thought that they (the bees) do not want/need all that 'ventilation'?

Maybe that warmth is better retained by the bees for the bees?

RAB

Thoughts? Thank you

Ever thought that they (the bees) do not want/need all that 'ventilation'?

Maybe that warmth is better retained by the bees for the bees?

RAB

:iagree:

If they are dry internally (condensation) then no need to worry about it.

Thanks for the replies. In reviewing my initial post I did not state my concern clearly. It is the moisture/condensation that concerns me not the heat. Clearly the bees want and need the heat. The quilt box, as I understand it, is meant to help absorb some of the moisture the colony produces (in addition to insulating the colony).

If there is evidence of condensation I will need to reevaluate this next autumn and insure that there is cloth visible to reduce the moisture content.

Thanks

A first inspection in spring will reveal any damp or mouldy comb. I doubt there will be any. I don't run Warres but don't get any condenstion problems with my colonies and they have no top ventilation whatsoever.

No idea what your winters are like, but bees in the wild do not make ventilation holes in their roofs. Warre likely got more gain from the insulation than the condensation avoidance by the through air flow.

Maybe you need to review the filling in your quilt box.

Oliver, thank you. I actually had that very same thought.

Quilt box insulation was fresh and fluffy in September.

I had the same problem when I hade Warre hives.

Hard job to get the quilt box off when the bees have welded the hesian to the tops of the frames.

Put another layer of hesian on before putting the quilt box in place.They will stick that down as well but its easier to get off than manhandling a stuck box.

Latest posts

Back