Warré in Switzerland

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to let it go, but that is just cobblers! :D

Post 2

Post 3

Post 4

Post 5

I've emphasised the 'non dismissive' parts for you! :cool: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

All just valid opinions ...

Dismissive:

"feeling or showing that something is unworthy of consideration".

None of those posts suggested that the idea was unworthy of consideration .. well perhaps JBM's was a little - but they are opinions and suggestions which, by their own reckoning, the OP appears to have found helpful .....

Many of us conventional type beekeepers have over the years had bees in many unconventional hives. I’ve had them in long hives, logs top bar no bars skeps and even a plant pot! I’ve also seen beeks abroad keeping bees in all sorts of non conventional type beetainers. The fact that some of the mystical enthusing qualities of some unconventional boxes are pulled up or laughed at is often based on experience😉
I can't understand where you were going wrong then! :D
Unless it is in trying to use an 'unconventional' hive in a 'conventional' way? :)

All just valid opinions ...

Dismissive:

"feeling or showing that something is unworthy of consideration".

None of those posts suggested that the idea was unworthy of consideration .. well perhaps JBM's was a little - but they are opinions and suggestions which, by their own reckoning, the OP appears to have found helpful .....

Again, I think we'll just have to differ on our understanding of the definition; 'make life more difficult', 'how's that going to work?', 'make life easy for yourself by selling the Warre hives', 'pass them on', 'Use the Warrés to warm your chalet'. All very complimentary! :D

How on earth are bees bred to lay continuously. Brood breaks are caused by environmental influences/nectar pollen sources. Can you give an example of a breeding program that breeds for continuous laying by the Queens.
:iagree: same as the claim that all colonies naturally die out after five years

If you can possibly get a local swarm, use that.

If you buy bees (package, nucleus, etc) the queen will be bred to lay contiuously. Good for honey - bad for mites (no brood breaks).

I use Warres and TBHs. They work well with swarms. If you buy bees, you may as well use normal hives, and treat with chemicals.

I must buy the wrong bees.
Almost all my hives have summer brood breaks every year after the hawthorn flow stops early June

Ditto other beekeepers who use local swarms.
They must collect the wrong swarms.

I use Warres and TBHs. They work well with swarms. If you buy bees, you may as well use normal hives, and treat with chemicals.
In the interest of fairness, and to counter the allegation of prejudice, I feel that I should point out that I treat! :D
I'm not sure what the difference is between swarms and bought bees that would make swarms better?
At least, if from a reputable breeder, you have some idea of the genetics of the colony.
From a swarm, you have no idea. :)

This year was an odd one though! Spring was so late, there was no June break here.
Mine had the July one in early August when it was cold and wet (just like yesterday and today)

Latest posts

Back