'Wannabee' from Pembrokeshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearhouse

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
;)

Hi all. We recently moved house and I finally find myself in a position to seriously consider keeping bees :)

We previously lived in a terraced house, where the neighbours possibly would not have appreciated a hive. Now we have no neighbours within 200 yards, and a much bigger garden.

Unfortunately the move took much longer than anticipated, and so I have sort of missed the boat with regards to courses this year, and all the 'experience' days near me are booked up.(If anyone knows of any, or any training weekends further afield that have spaces, I am willing to travel within reason).

I have made contact with a extremely helpful member of the local BKA, and so hopefully sometime soon I can actually get some sort of practical experience.

For now, I hope to try and curb my impatience by reading as much as I can and exploring the forum.

Thank you! Yes, there does seem to be a lot to read here!

I took delivery of the BBKA book today, so have started with that.

I have made contact with a extremely helpful member of the local BKA, and so hopefully sometime soon I can actually get some sort of practical experience.

That's a brilliant way to go at this time of year. Get out there as much as you can as there is plenty to do in an apiary at this time of year. You'll pick up some good experience and some not so good and you'll be streets ahead by next spring. Good luck and welcome to the madhouse. Stick around :)

Handy to light the smoker with I suppose.
Get something decent like the Hayne's manual, Hooper, Debruyn or beekeeping for dummies.

Aha, should have checked here rather than Amazon reviews :rolleyes:

Last Haynes manual I had was for a Fiat 127!

As ericA - get your hands in a hive before you consider splashing the cash - then you'll really know it's for you!

As ericA - get your hands in a hive before you consider splashing the cash - then you'll really know it's for you!

Not even a cash issue is it really? It's such a huge responsibilty taking on the welfare of bees I don't want to get it wrong.

BeeJayBee, off to look at that this afternoon!

Hi again, I'm way out in bandit country on the eastern edge, North of Narberth where sheep start to look attractive and the hills resound to the sound of banjos and shotguns! As to mistakes I can pretty much guarantee you'll make some but that's how we learn. I agree that the 'what I did in the apiary' thread is a great place but remember that the weather will influence hugely and everywhere is different.

:D

Good point; our weather is vastly different from yours, we are very near the coast and it's quite a bit warmer (c/o Pembroke's own patio heater, they call it 'Valero'), and doesn't rain as much as it does inland.

Don't be worried. Bees look after themselves. We need to do very little for them to survive other than consider varroa. You may lose them through swarms or desease but actually losing all your bees is, in my experience, not that common. As years progress you increase in knowledge, and you are more able to control your bees in the way you want. I know people who do very little to their hives, top bar hives are a good example of doing little!! But bees have been here longer than us. Don't stress just find out if you can stand thousands of bees flying round you, that is most important.
I have my tin hat on for the comments that wil follow but stressing about looking after them is the least of your worries!
E

Don't be worried. Bees look after themselves. We need to do very little for them to survive other than consider varroa. You may lose them through swarms or desease but actually losing all your bees is, in my experience, not that common. As years progress you increase in knowledge, and you are more able to control your bees in the way you want. I know people who do very little to their hives, top bar hives are a good example of doing little!! But bees have been here longer than us. Don't stress just find out if you can stand thousands of bees flying round you, that is most important.
I have my tin hat on for the comments that wil follow but stressing about looking after them is the least of your worries!
E

The trouble with welfare is that many people worry about bee welfare, think bees are a great idea, start with no PRACTICAL knowldege and then lose the bees due to ignorance. Seen it often in Topbar beekeeping. (and conventional as well)

On the other hand, I have seen a top bar hive totally ignored for 4 years and still thriving...

It may not be for you...

Sorry, :sorry:I didn't mean that in a rude way, and I don't for one minute think that it's going to be cheap; but I'm more worried about the welfare aspect.

My comment above was a bit double edged...it's not just the cash. Beekeeping might not be for you - it doesn't suit everyone who thinks it would be a wonderful hobby! I'm in no way trying to put you off - it is a great hobby (and, probably, a great way to earn a living, too). All I'm trying to say is find out before you get your own bees. Hands on experience is the only way to find out for sure. Now is a great time of year to get your first encounter with a full size hive. - perhaps even handling it, with any luck. (Even if you start off with a nuc when you get your own bees, it will grow - and, of course, your experience along with it!)

PS FWIW, I entirely agree with Enrico and Maaf's comments.

Latest posts

Back