Very new to bee keeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham2910

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi from Wigan ,been interested for years would like to spend a bit of time with some keepers in Wigan to find out a bit more and get some tips advice ect so I don’t wast money on unnecessary products any advice great-fully received

Welcome Graham, Bit late in the season now to be getting alongside beekeepers as the season is coming to a close and apart from varroa treatments and feeding there's not going to be much going on but - we have a few members in your neck of the woods and it's a good time to join a beekeeping association somewhere near you - there will be meetings and talks over winter and a beginners course in the New Year .. plenty of time for some reading. A good book to get you some idea of the basics is Bees at the Bottom of the Garden by Alan Campion. Not really a text book - it's an easy read and provided a flavour of what it's like to keep bees.

Plus of course., several months of dipping into thousands of past and present threads on here ... probably better than any book !

Hi from Wigan ,been interested for years would like to spend a bit of time with some keepers in Wigan to find out a bit more and get some tips advice ect so I don’t wast money on unnecessary products any advice great-fully received

Hi Graham, where in Wigan are you?

Welcome Graham, Bit late in the season now to be getting alongside beekeepers as the season is coming to a close and apart from varroa treatments and feeding there's not going to be much going on but - we have a few members in your neck of the woods and it's a good time to join a beekeeping association somewhere near you - there will be meetings and talks over winter and a beginners course in the New Year .. plenty of time for some reading. A good book to get you some idea of the basics is Bees at the Bottom of the Garden by Alan Campion. Not really a text book - it's an easy read and provided a flavour of what it's like to keep bees.

Plus of course., several months of dipping into thousands of past and present threads on here ... probably better than any book !
That’s great thanks

Hello Graham, welcome to the forum. Enjoy!

Google your local association there may still be a practical meeting before winter and if you make contact before you could arrange attending. They’ll also likely run winter theory courses or I’m sure another close by will, get yourself booked in.

Google your local association there may still be a practical meeting before winter and if you make contact before you could arrange attending. They’ll also likely run winter theory courses or I’m sure another close by will, get yourself booked in.
That’s great thanks I’ll get in touch and see if I can attend a meeting just want to get hands on aswell really

Be persistent try several close to you if you can, they are legendary as a group in slow or nonexistent responses. There generally run on a volunteer basis!! saying all of that some are very good.

Hi Graham I’m in Burtonwood so probably a bit far for but you are welcome to go through my hives with me
That would be great it’s only about 15 miles I not sure if we can pm in this group contact number address ect

Back