Very high swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudley

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 apiary's 1 with 3 hives 2nd with 5 hives
Yesterday evening went to get a swarm that was apparently quite high in a Lime tree. They were not joking, my swarm catcher was nowhere near long enough and I didn't have a cherry picker in my back pocket. So I placed a bait hive on the canopy of an adjacent shop. Today there is great interest in the bait hive.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfrQ-fBazss&fearture=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Keep us posted! Will be great if it works.

that's a great looking swarm cluster - classic shape and size

that's a great looking swarm cluster - classic shape and size

Not such a classic height unfortunately. I have taken two swarms from this High Street location for the past 2 years. One day a week they have market day on the wide grass verge here, one swarm clustered on the underside of a market traders table. That time the Police coned off half the high street while the council contacted me.

I once swam whilst high, nearly drowned.

From a very very distant memory - that looks like Tenterden...

Well my lovely brood box that looked to be so interesting to them yesterday was rejected just now as they have moved on. Suppose I Will get a call from the someone or the council about a swarm the other end of the High Street soon no doubt!

Are you leaving the bait hive in situ?

... I have taken two swarms from this High Street location for the past 2 years. ...

There can't be many beeks within 50 yards of Tenterden High St, can there?
Might it be easier to stop the next one at source?

Are you leaving the bait hive in situ?

Only for a few days as I do not think the owner of the shop likes it. When I asked to place it he was all worried about HSE and his insurance in case the bees did take to it and someone/customer got stung. So I have to take it away.

There can't be many beeks within 50 yards of Tenterden High St, can there?
Might it be easier to stop the next one at source?

Easier said than done. Lots of large properties on the high street with long rear gardens, who knows who has a hive or two tucked away. Plus, shed loads of victorian chimney pots for feral bees.

Latest posts

Back