Vertical Queen Excluder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 & 6 Nucs
I saw a video on YouTube a few months ago where a breeder queen was restricted to 3 frames using a vertical queen excluder. The way it worked was frames were removed from the Q+ side and put into the Q- side when they were laid up, when empty drawn frames were put into the Q+ side they were dated so you knew how old the eggs/larvae were. I can't find the video again, is there anyone on here using a similar method?

I saw a video on YouTube a few months ago where a breeder queen was restricted to 3 frames using a vertical queen excluder. The way it worked was frames were removed from the Q+ side and put into the Q- side when they were laid up, when empty drawn frames were put into the Q+ side they were dated so you knew how old the eggs/larvae were. I can't find the video again, is there anyone on here using a similar method?

Was it this one "Billy Davis - How a Queen Castle works"

i use these, they have a vertical qx that gives a six frame nuc heaving with nurse bees ideal for cell raising, the idea came from a book by Gilles Vert sorry picture will not upload

I saw a video on YouTube a few months ago where a breeder queen was restricted to 3 frames using a vertical queen excluder.

I think you are referring to Michael Palmer (https://youtu.be/UycH2CR-YoI) but there are several variations on the theme described in Contemporary Queen Rearing by Harry H. Laidlaw Jr.

Vertical queen excluders are documented back into the early 1900's. Jay Smith used a divider to keep the queen restricted to a few frames so that he could produce queen cells using his cut comb strips method. He was using zinc queen excluders so could cut them to any desired shape and size.

Latest posts

Back