verroa deterrant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaninis

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
bit of advice pls... what is the best method to stop verroa mite in my hives?? Sean

You won't - you just need to work out a method of keeping their numbers down.

Apiguard treatment in the autumn is the norm - oxalic acid tricking midwinter if needed. Oxalic acid sublimation autumn and/or winter is becoming very popular nowadays as well - it's a matter of observation and keeping on top of the situation at all times.

bit of advice pls... what is the best method to stop verroa mite in my hives?? Sean

You won't stop them ... the best you can hope is that your bees will cope with living alongside the mites .. and if they can't you need to watch for signs of mite infestation and treat accordingly. I don't treat my bees but only because they have not (yet) shown signs of excessive infestation. However, IMO, the best method of reducing the varroa levels in a colony is to treat using OA by sublimation .. 97% knockdown rate on the phoretic mites, you can use it at virtually any time of the year, the bees seem largely unaffected by the treatment and once you have the kit to do it the cost is pennies per hive. No brainer as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think it's the magic bullet but used with some thought and if there is brood present, at 5 day intervals for three cycles, it is as near as anyone has got so far.

Personally, I'd wait until you see signs of varroa before treatment of any kind.

Don't underestimate the value of MAQS if you have problems when they're filling supers.

My failure in earlier years of beekeeping, was to cross my fingers and hope! I was lax in doing varroa counts.

Plan ahead, do varroa counts every so often - but don't panic!.
Use a variety of oxalic acid, physical interventions and medication throughout the year.

Just be attentive.

Dusty

You can never have too many solid crown boards.

I would abolish CB's with holes... bees hate heat loss. Keep the CB solid with at least 50mm or 2" insulation on top.

KISS

PH

Latest posts

Back